I have no clue!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sunday

Reaction score
Here is a pic of an interesting bottle with a round bottom. A friend of mine has two of them, and I am puzzled as to what they are, and what they're worth. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

Kh17807.jpg

Picture cropped and reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Kh17807.jpg
    Kh17807.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 70

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hi Mark, those are indeed called round bottom's. They are also referred to as Maughum's. They were made that way so the aerated water would always be in contact with the cork. If the cork was to get dry, the pressure could blow it out of the bottle. That particular bottle isn't worth much monetarily, probably $5.00-$10.00 , but they are a pretty cool bottle in my opinion. Hope this helps, Kelley

slimdigger

Reaction score
Gunsmoke, Some of the American round bottom and semi round bottom ginger ale bottles bring a premium. I agree with you that most round bottoms are common including the Ross's Belfast bottle that is pictured. Slimdigger

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
They are also known as "ballast bottles". It was thought that since so many were imported from England and Ireland the extra weight (thickness) of the glass would also stablize the ship. I have my doubts about that.

kumtow

Reaction score
Bottles were often transported as ballast. The shipping owner can fill his hold with transportable goods (bottles) that he is being paid to ship instead of filling his hold with useless rocks. Ballast was loaded and unloaded as often as the upper deck cargo. It all depended on how the ship sat in the water due to the overall weight of its cargo at the time.

pudecat

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I would like to know what this bottle I have had around for a long time is. On the bottom of the bottle it says patiented 1894. Three wooden figures are attached and circle the bottle. They are held on by metal bands. The bottle has a metal top that just slips down over the head cut top. Tthe bottle has a small piece out of it. It was like that when I found it.
Thanks for any information you can give me.
Kitty

Ec88951.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen