Id of object guesses?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
No worries, Jim!! At least you weren't thinking what I was thinking: shackles! [:(]

botlguy

Reaction score
Te He Te He ! ! ! First time this year I have been right, if in fact I am. It is just a guess but seems plausible, I would use it so if I had a bunch of them. And afterall, we were asked to guess according to the RE:

Whatever it is, I think it's a neat object, I really enjoy and have a lot of similar stuff in my accumulations

beendiggin

Reaction score
I've only seen them used to hold old fashioned metal downspouts against buildings. Pound the spike into the wall, then it opens up at the hinge. Insert downspout, close it back shut, then wrap wire around the lugs.

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: beendiggin

I've only seen them used to hold old fashioned metal downspouts against buildings. Pound the spike into the wall, then it opens up at the hinge. Insert downspout, close it back shut, then wrap wire around the lugs.

I wouldn't want anyone pounding that thing into the side of MY house. Wood siding would split BIG TIME.
I'm not saying it WASN'T used that way but that doesn't seem plausible to me.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
It probably had a pointed end, it was a few inches longer than it is now.. rest is stuck in wood..?

Plumbata

Reaction score
Yup, gutter downspout holdermabob. Those things are generally used in brick or stone structures and would have been mortared into the wall as the wall was being constructed. Similar, though smaller things were often used to anchor a lightning rod wire along the side of brick/stone buildings, often made of brass.

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Plumbata

Yup, gutter downspout holdermabob. Those things are generally used in brick or stone structures and would have been mortared into the wall as the wall was being constructed. Similar, though smaller things were often used to anchor a lightning rod wire along the side of brick/stone buildings, often made of brass.

Now THAT makes a LOT of sense.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn