Identify bottles in photo?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
First thing I thought of when I seen it was it looked like a Monk to me. Which were Popular in Brewing Pics, ect. Pabst is Similiar but Pabst has a Hop Leaf with B (for Best) in the round circle. I'm sure there is hundreds of labels that could look like good candidates. LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Although it does look closer than any I've seen so far, Tam O'Shanter was apparently a post-prohibition beer made by American Brewing Company.

hatchet

I acknowledge that the Tam O'Shanter bottle I used as a comparison was post-prohibition, and attaching another example from 1936 which depicts the slanted label. However, there are numerous sources that confirm Tam O'Shanter ale was on the market a lot earlier than the 1930s and was sold in bottles at the time. The attached file is from 1908 and associates Tam O'Shanter ale with the Bartholomay Brewery in Rochester, New York. Although I am not certain at the moment and need to do some more research, it could be that the American Brewing Company connection didn't occur until sometime in the 1930s. I don't currently know what their pre-prohibition bottles or labels looked like, but will continue my search and see if I can find out. By the way, could you please explain again how it was determine that the photo is pre 1920.

Thanks

Bob

Tam O'Shanter Ale_Rutland_Daily_Herald_Rutland Vermont_Thu__Aug_20__1936.jpg

Tam O'Shanter Ale Tip Tray.jpg

Attachments

• Tam O'Shanter Ale_Democrat_and_Chronicle_Sun__Dec_13__1908_.pdf
    565.8 KB · Views: 152

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here is an example of a Tam O'Shanter bottle from 1908 - which is from the attached file

Tam O'Shanter Bottle_Democrat_and_Chronicle_Rochester, New York_Sun__May_31__1908.jpg

Attachments

• Tam O'Shanter Bottle_Democrat_and_Chronicle_Sun__May_31__1908_.pdf
    775 KB · Views: 150

hatchet

Reaction score
By the way, could you please explain again how it was determine that the photo is pre 1920.

The fellow with the beer label website didn't go into detail about why he thought it was pre-prohibition other than mentioning label design. I'm pretty confident it's pre-prohibition because it's a family photo, and all the photos from 1903 to around 1920 look very similar, like they were taken by the same camera. After 1920, photos change to being from more modern cameras. Also, given what I know of the person who took the photo, it's unlikely it was taken after prohibition. Also, there is one person in the photo who is identified, and his age in the photo couldn't be after prohibition.

I may well be wrong or incomplete in what I said about the Tam O'Shanter brand. I found it a difficult thing to search for, as it's not a unique name, making relevant hits harder to find.

SODABOB

Reaction score
hatchet

Thanks for the info - I wasn't sure and can work with the pre-prohibition era. I realize the odds of actually identifying and dating the bottle in the photo are slim - but its fun looking anyway - with my main focus being on "long-neck" bottles with a "diagonal" label. Speaking of which, here is another bottle I am researching. I have already determined they used a long-neck bottle prior to 1933 and a couple of different labels. One of their labels depicts the Statue of Liberty in the circle, and another one depicts an Indian Maiden if full head-dress in the circle. They are from the American Brewery in Rochester, New York. But who knows if its the same bottle like those depicted in the photo.

( Compare to the bottle in the photo )

Liberty Beer ~ American Brewing Co. ~ Rochester, New York

Liberty Beer Bottle American Brewing Rochester Date Unknown.jpg

Liberty Beer Label American Brewing Rochester Date Unknown.jpg

Beer Bottle Forum Paper Label.jpg

embe

Reaction score
Getting closer, good research all

hemihampton

Reaction score
Way off. Original Poster suspected it's a Colorado area bottle, not New York? Maybe Telluride? Century? Silver State?

SODABOB

Reaction score
Colorado Prohibition - 1916 to 1933 - Four years before national Prohibition - Many breweries went out of business

hemihampton

Reaction score
I mentioned the Pabst earlier but figured the Hop Leaf & B (for Best) in circle was not close enough but similar. any body have Bob Kays Label Book for Colorado? I only have the midwest & Michigan area. LEON.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26