Just a thought.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Yes I believe the part about non collectors just keeping stuff buried in their closets. Had a non collecting friend that received a gift of a bottle from another non collector ( I know weird right). My friend Al showed this bottle to me because he knew I was a collector. My eyes popped out of my head, it was a cornflower blue petal wax sealer fruit jar with an iron pontil. I don't know much about fruit jars but I knew it was something special so I checked into it and got a round about price of 500-850 (1980's prices) Took it to the Baltimore show in Timonium showed it around and sold it for him. $650, probably should have waited for an auction setting but Al was thrilled with the sale price.
My neighbor does garbage removal. Emptying houses of degree, sometimes everything someone owned. He always gives me the bottles, crates or whatever he pulled from the place. He gets some of the most amazing things. I can't believe people don't want the stuff, but for whatever reason they don't.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
There are only a finite number of out of production bottles. Many are still left to be found but the number is fixed. Bottles break, even those that have been found. Demand will continue to exceed supply for older and rarer bottles. Temporary finds will depress some unique examples but over time, diminishing supply will always lead to increased prices.
That makes sense. Thanks for your thoughts.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I've actually thought of this as a new career.... but, I'd probably "keep" myself into the poor house!
:p ~Fred
I thought about a side business like this also. He has a store in Patterson NJ. His business keeps it well stocked. All basically stuff people paid him to remove! He now gets to sell for even more of a profit. Win-win situation. Although not every job has a pot of gold, some do.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
This happened on a large scale in Toronto a few years back. The city decided to redevelop their deindustrialized waterfront for residential use, which involved construction crews digging up enormous amounts of bottles that were dumped into the lake as fill. Suddenly there were so many Toronto bottles on the market that it completely collapsed prices. For years you could buy Hutchinsons for $5 a piece at bottle shows. You might still be able to, not sure.

brent little

Reaction score
There was a huge dig in the mid 80's at the Dome site in Toronto. Six guys dug around 10000 plus early blob sodas and beers. The market in Ontario sodas tanked for a long period. i got back into it in2012 and it seems to be quite healthy if the bottle is fairly rare. They were known as the dream team. The only known H.Sprott flavoured beers where found here. Toronto stuff is still on the soft side for prices.I would think in the 45 years I have bought and sold bottles and jars the market still seems to be very good. But you have to collect "very good stuff " if you plan on being in it for the long run. I looked at a guys collection recently of novice entry level bottles and passed.

matthew lucier

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day about all the bottles we as diggers find. Always bringing more to the surface. Value is determined by more than supply and demand I realize, but everytime another rare bottle surfaces does it decrease the value of the ones in collections already? Are we in a sense, shooting ourselves in the foot with every bottle we uncover? Especially one of a kind. Just a thought. What do you think?
ROBBYBOBBY64.
If you brought a $5000.00 bottle to the surface, would you take $3000.00 for it? No, you would want the 5 grand. But if you took the 3 grand, then, I'd say you shot everyone in the foot. Prices follow market sales and if you sell below market value then you're hurting the market price
Kind of hard to say "no thanks to a potential sale even though you literally have nothing in it". I believe this is what's wrong with the economy. People that have nothing in what they are selling are living off the backs of people who do. Sometimes it's their entire saving lost to a card shuffle and put on the market for little to nothing. And why should we care? Because we could be next. I'm just saying... .

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Nickneff

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day about all the bottles we as diggers find. Always bringing more to the surface. Value is determined by more than supply and demand I realize, but everytime another rare bottle surfaces does it decrease the value of the ones in collections already? Are we in a sense, shooting ourselves in the foot with every bottle we uncover? Especially one of a kind. Just a thought. What do you think?
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Well said I agree

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
If you brought a $5000.00 bottle to the surface, would you take $3000.00 for it? No, you would want the 5 grand. But if you took the 3 grand, then, I'd say you shot everyone in the foot. Prices follow market sales and if you sell below market value then you're hurting the market price
Kind of hard to say "no thanks to a potential sale even though you literally have nothing in it". I believe this is what's wrong with the economy. People that have nothing in what they are selling are living off the backs of people who do. Sometimes it's their entire saving lost to a card shuffle and put on the market for little to nothing. And why should we care? Because we could be next. I'm just saying... .

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Well phrased. Ebay is a problem. Bottles up for bid are worth so much more. Nobody bids on them. It happens all the time. Win a $150 bottle for a starting bid of $9.99! I am even guilty of this.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
There was a huge dig in the mid 80's at the Dome site in Toronto. Six guys dug around 10000 plus early blob sodas and beers. The market in Ontario sodas tanked for a long period. i got back into it in2012 and it seems to be quite healthy if the bottle is fairly rare. They were known as the dream team. The only known H.Sprott flavoured beers where found here. Toronto stuff is still on the soft side for prices.I would think in the 45 years I have bought and sold bottles and jars the market still seems to be very good. But you have to collect "very good stuff " if you plan on being in it for the long run. I looked at a guys collection recently of novice entry level bottles and passed.
I remember that! I think it was on the news if I am correct. I wonder what percentage of the hoard was embossed. I can't seem to find anything from searching the internet.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973