My Blob Top Steamer Type Soda Collection(always looking for more)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

waskey

Reaction score
Thanks for looking everyone. They really are a nice looking type of bottle to collect. I have some that are really whittled and hammered nicely. One day I hope I can display them all. As for the extra Ellicott City one, I may just hold onto it for now but I may possibly sell it in the future sometime.

digger don

Reaction score
Waskey Nice collection. I've seen these in antique shops and didn't bother to get them because I had no idea how much to pay. Can you give me some idea of how much these might cost. Just a ball park figure . Don't want to pay $100 for a $20 bottle. Some antique shops really jack up there prices. Thanks Don

waskey

Reaction score
Most are worth atleast $10 if their in perfect condtion. Some can be worth around $30 or so if rare. I would need a list of the names to be able to give you a better price range. If I don't have them I would be interested.

digger don

Reaction score
Thanks Henry At least now I have some idea of value. I will let you know if I find any thing . Don

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
These bottles are somewhat over looked by a lot of collectors. Which in my opinion is a mistake. Sure some of them were made in large numbers but after digging for over many many years some of them are very hard to find. Henry is a good example of a young collector picking up on a catagory of bottles that will be most sought after in years to come.

Its like buying under valued stock. I like a colored pontiled med as much as the next guy. But how often are you going to dig one or afford to buy one. I personally think you are now seeing the same type of sceinario with Pharmacy bottles. There was a time when most were thrown back down in the hole. As you know that isnt the case anymore. Some bring huge dollars now. Same as those Carters that are going crazy. There was a time when you could buy all you want for $10-$15 a piece. These steamers were once upon a time frowned upon by serious collctors. Most were dollar bottles at best. As you see Henry has paid considerably more. I think Henry has a good start to a great collection.

Henry and Joey are the next generation of the serious bottle collector. Its very encourageing to see. The hobby needs more young people like these two. They are very well educated in the hobby of collecting bottles. The bottle community is going to hear from these two for many years to come.

waskey

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words John. Ill see you at the meeting tommorrow night. Yes, its true, I used to see the steamers not selling for much a few years ago but now they seem to sell for quite a bit since people love whittled blob top bottles. I have a couple that are so whittled that you'd think they are 1860s bottles. Some are very easy to get but others can take a very long time to find. Its a shame to think that back in the 1980s and 1990s privy diggers just threw these back into the holes. Some can be worth some serious cash now and the collectors of them are rapidly growing. They really do look great when lined up in a window sill.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Well this is nice to hear, cause I just love this category and I feel the same way about them, except I didn't know diggers used to throw them back.. that was toopid..!
I love all these steamers, squats, ponies, blobs, hutches, all the weird patent ones.. as long as they are heavy.. [;)]

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger
I love all these steamers, squats, ponies, blobs, hutches, all the weird patent ones.. as long as they are heavy.. [;)]

I couldn't have said it better myself! I now realize what I want to specify my collection into: these types of bottles. Some can be had for cheap; I want to find ones from my area, at this point.

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
As I mentioned Pharmacies are now hitting their stride...years ago I did what you guys are doing now with steamers....Here is my collection of Pharmacies.

448F630197544E4EAE964720BADC0D3A.jpg

Attachments

• 448F630197544E4EAE964720BADC0D3A.jpg
    448F630197544E4EAE964720BADC0D3A.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 84

PrivyCheese

Reaction score

291E139E5FCD4FFDA46C3E8A23792792.jpg

Attachments

• 291E139E5FCD4FFDA46C3E8A23792792.jpg
    291E139E5FCD4FFDA46C3E8A23792792.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 83