Need your help on this stuck stopper!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bent_Twig

Reaction score
I was just out looking for a job this morning and ran across a little antique store. Cant seem to find a job , but I always seem to find a way to spend more money!!!![:)] Found this cool little Larkin Soap Co bottle in the store for $12 bucks and thought it was a good buy. The stopper is stuck tight! I have heard of several tricks to get this stopper loose , but there is one problem. This bottle still has a partial label on the back that is dirty but reads :
Lavender
Ammonia
Salt

It has some of the originsl residue in it and I would love to have a smell. I want to get it open , but I do not want to hurt the label. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2183619C9E9A434DBF522151EF16768F.jpg

Attachments

• 2183619C9E9A434DBF522151EF16768F.jpg
    2183619C9E9A434DBF522151EF16768F.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 34

Bent_Twig

Reaction score
Well,

I was to impatient to wait for some responses so I tried using hot and cold on the stopper and not on the bottle except for the lip. I was real careful and used cold water first then hot water and it came loose right away.

I have to tell ya that I was pretty disapointed at the smell though. Not good at all!![:'(] I suppose I will fill it with warm water and let the inside soak. Give the inside a good cleaning and it should sparkle.

Twig.

5DBE00FF840843488A7684E632460418.jpg

Attachments

• 5DBE00FF840843488A7684E632460418.jpg
    5DBE00FF840843488A7684E632460418.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 29

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Ha ha! That was the ultimate " I've got cabin fever and am going crazy because i cant dig and am finding things to do to keep me busy, like trying to get stoppers out of bottles" post. :)

I'm right there with ya. Glad you got the stopper out. Sorry you got aroma let down from it.

45 degrees here tomorrow! 2 feet of snow on the ground, but aside from that, I'd say diggin is right around the corner

Bent_Twig

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: downeastdigger

Ha ha! That was the ultimate " I've got cabin fever and am going crazy because i cant dig and am finding things to do to keep me busy, like trying to get stoppers out of bottles" post. :)

I'm right there with ya. Glad you got the stopper out. Sorry you got aroma let down from it.

45 degrees here tomorrow! 2 feet of snow on the ground, but aside from that, I'd say diggin is right around the corner
Yup!!

Enough of this winter already! I need to get in the dirt. Cant bottle hunt,arrowhead hunt, or metal detect. I have some great fields for artifacts if this snow would ever melt. Have a new metal detector setting here just waiting to see some ground. I figure some of the woods that I hunt that are behind old farm houses should have old dumps. A lot of these places I have never found any dump. So I figure if the dump is under ground the metal detector may help me find an older dump.

Twig.

bostaurus

Reaction score
I tried the hot and cold water on an apothecary with a stuck stopper. I ended up with a big crack down the neck. Fortunately it was not that old and it was free. I have another that is probably early 1800's with a very stuck stopper. I have tried warm water..I am afraid to use hot, I have soaked it in olive oil, WD40 and Coke to no avail. It has an early hand painted label so I can't soak the whole thing, just from the neck up. It is just going to have to stay stuck. The only reason I want it unstuck is because the bottle contains some pretty nasty stuff. Since the stopper refuses to budge I guess I don't have to worry about that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday