New Hampshire Bans Digging... Starting Now?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

subsoil

Reaction score
I just came across this and I am floored: [:'(]

http://www.wmur.com/news/10582085/detail.html

Calling all New Hampshire diggers: What do we do? This has been a longtime fear of mine that the state will eventually seriously restrict our hobby and make it nearly impossible to keep artifacts from these sites. And now that the media is picking up on it I fear it only accelerates the process.

/Scared now

richf

Reaction score
Just another way our government is working to restrict and control almost everything. And, they probably don't care one bit about the bottles!
My advice is dig it now, while you still can. That statement about digging in a city park is ridiculous ... he's comparing apples to oranges. They would be much better off concentrating on what seems to be a rather serious homelessness problem.
Rich

baltbottles

Reaction score
Load of rubbish I say. For one your not supposed to dig on state land. And 2 the "archeologist " they quoted in the article said and I quote " That value is lost once the bottle is taken from its context, he said." This guy is not a very good archeologist because in general large dumps have no true context they are too mixed up to ever be worth digging archeologically. I’ve had more then one Professional archeologist tell me this. Small dumping sites perhaps those from a single house can provide some archeological value and any small dumping deposits that occurred over a very short period of time could also provide valuable information. So basically all this article says is that they may be cracking down on people digging on state lands. So just dig on private land with permission and you will not have any problems.

Chris

swizzle

Reaction score
I think we need to get a couple of brilliant minds in on this in our defense. Point out the fact that while our friends are digging out old trash, the drunk homeless families are pissing in the river. What's the bigger problem? I'd say the homeless living along the river are by far the worse of their problems. A 50 foot hole in the side of a river isn't going to change its course. A river is going to go where it wants to. That 50 foot wide hole is a drop in the bucket. Compare that to what our states factories are doing to our waterways. Here in the adirondacks we have factories that are knowingly poisoning our rivers. They are allowed to do so because they can afford a permit every year that says its ok. The clean up is far to costly and why worry about it when you can just renew your permit. The permit system was installed years ago to provide a delay until newer technologies would allow a safer and cleaner means of running a bussiness. We can't eat anymore then 3 pounds of fish a month due to the mercury in their system. There is one company that's dumping 10's of thousands of pounds of waste into hudson every day. By the time the hudson gets to the ocean its almost purely poison. Now some archiologist fresh out of school is saying a 50 foot hole and a medicine bottle that can sell for as much as a $1,000 on ebay is destroying the river. That to me just sounds ignorant. Swizzle

frank

Reaction score
I think digging on state property is a bad thing did the digger fill there holes up if they didnt that what you get!!! I dig on privite property and dont have any problems i back fill my holes in ps sad to say they are destroying the river banks when you cut the roots out of a 150 yearold tree it weakens and the tree goes down and erodes the river bank and the animals lose there home too!!!

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
The next time I find a good early dump I'm not going to dig a single bottle. I'll get a better price if I leave them in the ground. I can see it now on ebay. Small farm dump for sale, Starting bid 10 million dollars[:D] Here's an idea. Let the Homeless dig there so they can raise money to become non-homeless.LMAO. Besdies, are you really destroying the river bank. it's not a river bank it's a dump. The river bank begins where the dump leaves off. Actually the diggers are restorring the river bank to its oringinal course!!!

bottlediger

Reaction score
"Now some archiologist fresh out of school is saying a 50 foot hole and a medicine bottle that can sell for as much as a $1,000 on ebay is destroying the river. That to me just sounds ignorant." Swizzle

Its not ignorance its pure jelousy, I have an archeology major along with a enviromental major, most of the poisons originaly from the dump as leached into the water ways LONG ago and the little that remains that goes into the river is VERY slim compaired to what factorys put in!

swizzle

Reaction score
Do you feel that this site is of historical significance? I can see the home of a famous person or artifacts that date back to the late 1700's and back, but to me 1800's seems kind of new for archeologist to be really worried about. Am I wrong in thinking this? Swizzle

capsoda

Reaction score
We are the state, not a few politicians and do gooders. US, the diggers, collectors, buyers and sellers and the Wally world greeter dude too.

This guy is another ignorant busy body who is going to save us from ourselves even if it kills us all. It is a hobby and I used to dig with an archy type who was a bottle collector and we never destroyed any history of any kind. The homeless problem I don,t really give a crap about because most of them like where they are.

AND, AND, I will be right up because I am not getting rich down here digging any $1000 meds so I will come up there and help you folks get rid of all the ones you have. [sm=rolleyes.gif] What a $h!t head.......

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology