New Hampshire Bans Digging... Starting Now?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlecol345

Reaction score
I think its stupid the archaeologists think the bottles would be more valuable sat in the ground where no one could even tell what they were. Archeaologists dig stuff up all the time, ancient cities to old building sites. How could they say that rare artifacts could be more valuable in the ground than actually being able to identify them?? Hopefully this whole idea is just rubbish. If it isnt, hopefully other states wont develop simular bans

Mike O

Reaction score
I have to apologize for my langue in my last post! I just pisses me off that people cant mind there own business and leave us diggers alone. If I offended anyone with my quick reaction I truly am sorry to you! I should have not used two 2 words. Mike O

bottlediger

Reaction score
Mike mike mike, you appologise to easy. She deserves a big FU! And Swizzle, Yes I do feel this site and all other bottle digging sites have an are of historical Significance. BUT historical significance to US the bottle digger. We love what we do, we take pride in it and IF IT WASNT FOR US, most of the historical bottles that our out there would not be right now because the areas most of them came from are now DEVELOPED and destoryed. Arceologists cant do ANYTHING without money. They have to get their funding form somewhere wither from the state, gov. or private interests. No one wants to hand over an Arch. Money to dig up some 1800's bottles. Why because that time frame of history is so well documented its not even funny. Everyone on here knows that. So when they cant get money they beotch about stupid Shibby like us bottle diggers to get their name out there to promote themselfs or just out of pure jelousey to stop the people that are really doing something and preserving history.

swizzle

Reaction score
I don't blame you for being mad Mike O. Maybe you can post some pics of those $1,000 meds. you've been digging out of that 50 foot hole. I'd like to see some pics of the dump in question. Maybe you can give us a little history lesson of the area your digging as well.
Bottlediger, I thank you for your opinion. Its always nice to get a fresh perspective. Swizzle

digger mcdirt

Reaction score
That is terrible! I know some of the guys who have dug there and have seen the site it is a grown up river bank! There is no way that digging there could hurt anyone or anything. As far as the history it is a huge City dump with burn layers etc. The guys who dig it re-fill their holes and do not leave huge holes in the ground (I never saw anything like that when I was through there). It sounds like to me another case of a jerk being a jerk. They did the same thing at Memphis years ago on the Mississippi and to this day digging is still messed up. It only takes one to really mess up a spot. I see more and more sites becoming off limits today because of this.I hope this passes for all my NH friends so they can get back to digging like they do.

earlyglass

Reaction score
Well, it was only a matter of time before officials took notice.

I'll tell ya, that dump looked like swiss cheese when I was digging there as a kid over 25 years ago. For some reason, people continue to go back to that place, and for what?? I have not seen one pontilled piece pulled from the 1/2 mile dump! And everything is sick glass. It is right in the center of the city with highways an on-lookers everywhere. I could see 4 or 5 people digging as I traveled over the bridge last week. I understand that the diggers are not harming anyone, but there is no way in hell that any holes are being filled. Like I said, it looks like a mine field! I can also imagine that the river will fill those ravines and holes and cause additional erosion, but that is not my call.

Anyways, I am not taking any sides here, but I could certainly locate a dozen sites that are more productive than this one, away from the public and without the hassles of Mr. Jack-off Archeologist. Don't waste your time.

Mike O

Reaction score
I am Happy that I don't live in NH. I will bet now the do gooders will take some tax dollers and do a archaeolol dig To find out what the city drank in 1900 so Maybe I could offer my tumbling services to clean up all the sick bottles to like new condition. And since all the bottles are worth thousand of dollers I should charge at least $750.00 each to tumble them! Hey Earlyglass The holes may not be filled to the top and level but I would say that they are at least 80% back filled

earlyglass

Reaction score
Mike, you know I am not pointing any fingers, but the place has been a mess for years, long before you or any of the guys on this site were going there. I have spoken to guys that have dug that place for longer than we have been alive... and very few great bottles have been found. I'm not trying to spoil the fun, it just seems like a waste of time to me. This could hurt your tumbling business though! [:)]

About the state regulations... it seems a bit extreme to me. But to my point... stay out of the radar.

Mike

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter