Ongoing bottle finds at cannery site need help identifying daily!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That Snappy bottle is fantastic, and it's interesting how much it looks like a The Lions bottle from Vancouver. Pretty much the same apart from the texture.

RCO

Reaction score
That Snappy bottle is fantastic, and it's interesting how much it looks like a The Lions bottle from Vancouver. Pretty much the same apart from the texture.

it does look similar to the lions bottle and from the similar part of the country , I've seen a lot of BC bottles on this site but rarely any from Washington state . wonder if there made by same bottle maker due to proximity

RCO

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with your statement. A significant factor in the notoriously high prices of commodities sold in Alaska is, and has ever been, the cost of transporting the goods to Alaskan locales. A small and diffused population in the state was not conductive to development of local industries such as bottling that rely on sales volume for profitability.

Even today, many Alaskan communities are only served via air or sea, with some of the far northern villages being supplied by ship only through a narrow "ice free" seasonal gap.

true there would obviously be products being delivered to remote communities made in other places/states . just not sure it would of included sodas from smaller bottlers in other states .

it seems like these bottles traveled north because of the steamship or boats which stopped in the area and were discarded in the water .

seem more likely that major brands like coca cola or pepsi might of shipped product into Alaska that way , seems less likely a small bottler in Washington state was sending cases of pop that far north knowing they'd never get the bottles back which were expensive back then

AlaskanBottleDiver

Reaction score
I have a couple suggestions that will make it easier for forum members to help you identify your bottles and provide additional information. If their tasks are made easier, you are more likely to obtain quicker and more elaborate answers.

First: Try to photograph your bottles with a clean, contrasting solid-color background--a draped white or pastel sheet works well, but poster board or construction paper, cardboard, etc. will do--so that the embossing can be more clearly discerned.

Second: Don't totally rely upon photographs of curved and reflective surfaces to convey all the information one might need to assist you. Write full descriptions of all the embossing present on a given bottle. Include the location of the embossing, such as front, shoulder, bottom, back and etc. Pay attention to upper and lower case letters and all punctuation; then convey that information as accurately as possible. For instance: Does your "Kalispell" bottle have the following wording near the base of the backside? " "PROPERTY OF FLATHEAD COCA-COLA BOTTLING CO." in all capital letters? (I might have some very interesting news for you.) And is it a 7oz, content bottle?

yes it does have both of the features you mentioned. I have 4+ of these bottles as well as the just letter embossed version.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 323
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 310
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 319

willong

Reaction score
yes it does have both of the features you mentioned. I have 4+ of these bottles as well as the just letter embossed version.

In that case, you will likely enjoy seeing what one sold for at auction a couple years ago: https://www.icollector.com/Flathead-Bottling-Company-Bottle-Kalispell-Montana_i24886709

I own a property in Kalispell, and I was going to ask if you were interested in selling the Flathead Bottling Works bottle. That is, I was going to until I saw the value!

You are obviously experienced in cold water diving. If you are ever in the Kalispell region, you might well acquire more of the bottles by diving lakes in the area. Flathead Lake itself once had an extensive lumber mill community on its north end about the turn of the 19th into the 20th century.

By the way, are you located in Cordova; or did you place the tide table in the background of one of your photos as deliberate misdirection?

Last edited:

AlaskanBottleDiver

Reaction score
Fox snappy drink collection left to right
Brownie, fox straight, snowman 6fl oz

if anyone would like more photos of a individual bottle From this lot I would be happy to take some.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 322

AlaskanBottleDiver

Reaction score
In that case, you will likely enjoy seeing what one sold for at auction a couple years ago: https://www.icollector.com/Flathead-Bottling-Company-Bottle-Kalispell-Montana_i24886709

I own a property in Kalispell, and I was going to ask if you were interested in selling the Flathead Bottling Works bottle. That is, I was going to until I saw the value!

You are obviously experienced in cold water diving. If you are ever in the Kalispell region, you might well acquire more of the bottles by diving lakes in the area. Flathead Lake itself once had an extensive lumber mill community on its north end about the turn of the 19th into the 20th century.

By the way, are you located in Cordova; or did you place the tide table in the background of one of your photos as deliberate misdirection?
I kept all the kallispell bottles because my dads family are from great falls and black eagle. I’d love to dive flathead lake. I usually dive from a paddle board to get bottles my more recent outhouse dig the first bottle was a flathead. I may be somewhat in that general vicinity of Cordova but as anyone can tell you there are hundreds of canneries out here. I know the owners of this particular cannery and I’ve been digging here for quite a while they have barely any interest in bottle digging.

RCO

Reaction score
Fox snappy drink collection left to right
Brownie, fox straight, snowman 6fl oz

if anyone would like more photos of a individual bottle From this lot I would be happy to take some.

all 4 bottles have a somewhat different look and design , I'm assuming Fox was one of the larger bottlers in Seattle area ? although a city that size in the era ( 20's - 30's ) would of had many different smaller bottlers before the bigger brands took over

its not uncommon for property owners to not be interested in bottle digging , lots of times people give permission to others to dig

willong

Reaction score
I may be somewhat in that general vicinity of Cordova but as anyone can tell you there are hundreds of canneries out here.

LOL, I was just teasing you. But no one needs to tell me that about the canneries!

I spent my last four or five years of public schooling devouring books about Alaska and drawing floor plans for the log home I intended to build in the process of "proving-up" a 160 acre homestead. Two of my favorite reads were "The Cheechakoes" by Wayne Short and "Go North Young Man" by Gordon Stoddard --both being books relating homesteading adventures in Alaska. I made my way up to Alaska (University of Alaska at Fairbanks) just seven months after graduating from high school. Unfortunately, it was by then January of 1969 and the Homestead Act had just been placed on moratorium due to native land claims lawsuits. Three years later, thanks to the Marine Mammals Protection Act, I could no longer hope to pursue one of my other dream adventures: hunting polar bears on the Bering ice.

Some of us just couldn't manage to get born at the right time.

AlaskanBottleDiver

Reaction score
It’s pretty remote where I’m at I don’t have any worries only the commercial fishermen steal from the dig sometimes. Which is a big No-No because the tide land is private property. My Granpa came up here homesteading before statehood from Montana. He was a potato farmer that how my dad’s side of the family wound up here. If you really want to hunt polar bear I hear it’s still legal if you go through Canada but it cost $$$$$$. If the homestead act was still in effect I would be homesteading but it was before my time as I’m 22.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973