Ongoing bottle finds at cannery site need help identifying daily!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AlaskanBottleDiver

Reaction score
New find in outhouse dig sadly it is broken at back.

bottled by sunset bottling co, Seattle Wa.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 341

RCO

Reaction score
Our

The proximity to Canada was what had me thinking it was Canadian and that it was 7FLoz instead of 6. I am not a OC expert and can’t identify the markings. I have a few with different makers marks I can post later when I’m home.

pretty sure they had 7 oz bottles in the US , it was a common size . there is a member from BC who would know more " canadacan " he's sometimes on the soda section and collects orange crush

not all Canadian ones had the D mark , some were made by consumers glass and have a " c " in a triangle

RCO

Reaction score
I routinely find Kist bottles here , if there in the water , label is usually gone . found a few nice ones over the years , pretty major brand , was sold all over .

interesting its also from Washington

AlaskanBottleDiver

Reaction score
I
I routinely find Kist bottles here , if there in the water , label is usually gone . found a few nice ones over the years , pretty major brand , was sold all over .

interesting its also from Washington

What’s his username? I’ll tag him I have a few OC that he might like to look at.

thanks for the input! First one I’ve found I’ve got some nice decoarated bottles by J.C.Fox and co that might tickle your fancy. Then I’ll get into the Coca Cola bottles...

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yes the Left facing came in 6oz and 7oz...the the July pat date is what tells you it from the USA.

AlaskanBottleDiver

Reaction score
Fox snappy drinks j.c. Fox and co. Seattle

number code on bottom 58S1 I think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 348
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 348

RCO

Reaction score
never seen the Fox seattle bottle before ,it has a similar design as some other art deco bottles from that period ( 30's - 40's era ) .

I have a lot of art deco bottles but not from that part of the country . they survive well in water , so could find some interesting ones there

AlaskanBottleDiver

Reaction score
never seen the Fox seattle bottle before ,it has a similar design as some other art deco bottles from that period ( 30's - 40's era ) .

I have a lot of art deco bottles but not from that part of the country . they survive well in water , so could find some interesting ones there

there is a total of 4 types of j.c. Fox and co bottles that I’ve found a straight version, brownie bottle, the tall version which is pictured above and a squat version I call the snowman. I will post the other 3 when I get a chance. The Art Deco bottles are very cool I find them complete rarely!

willong

Reaction score
I doubt stores in Alaska would of been selling local sodas from other states

I respectfully disagree with your statement. A significant factor in the notoriously high prices of commodities sold in Alaska is, and has ever been, the cost of transporting the goods to Alaskan locales. A small and diffused population in the state was not conductive to development of local industries such as bottling that rely on sales volume for profitability.

Even today, many Alaskan communities are only served via air or sea, with some of the far northern villages being supplied by ship only through a narrow "ice free" seasonal gap.

The present viral pandemic has further exacerbated the challenges. Here's an interesting read on how the pandemic has impacted Gustavus, AK: https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...ock-supplies-because-of-covid-19-restrictions

In decades before too many "archeologists" were cranked out of colleges and universities with little prospect for employment in legitimate prehistorical investigations, a situation that lead the ranks to lobby implementation of draconian restrictions on such hobbies as bottle digging and relic hunting on National Parks and other "public lands" in order to preserve recent trash dumps for future busy work for the underemployed "academics," it was possible for history buffs, bottle collectors and metal detectorists to ascend the Chilkoot Pass Trail and recover relics both discarded and abandoned by the hopefuls who had toiled up those same slopes during the hectic years of the Klondike Gold Rush. Since the rush commenced in the waning years of the 1890's and continued into the early twentieth century, the bottles recovered were not particularly old as antiques go. However, it was an era prolific embossing. I recall reading an article in "Alaska" magazine from the late 1960's or early 1970's that featured such a relic recovery outing. I couldn't name any of the brands today from memory, but I do recollect seeing photos of nicely embossed amber whiskey bottles that had originated in the Puget Sound region. Such would only naturally be expected, as the main outfitting point for the Klondike rush was Seattle. Newspaper reports of the "ton of gold" landed by the the steamship Portland from St Michael, Alaska on 17 July 1897 upon Seattle docks helped spark the gold fever and the rush that followed.

Copy of an advertisement in an 1897 mining book:

1595439925861.png

A facsimile copy of the book complete with maps that I purchased for the then princely sum of $30* in 1970 was one of my bottle hunting resources. It lead me to some very interesting locations and adventures in British Columbia and eastern Washington State.

* I worked on the first ever 747 in Boeing's Everett, WA plant in late 1968--a journeyman "A-Riveter" earned $3.90 per hour at the time.

willong

Reaction score
Hello,

I grew up spending the summers on a remote island in Alaska. There used to be a old cannery here I have been finding bottles for 15 years and continue to do so I need help identifying my finds sometimes. I will also post a few of the nicer finds I have been able to identify.

First for your consideration is a recent find. I can’t find much on it.

thank you for your time,
TT

I have a couple suggestions that will make it easier for forum members to help you identify your bottles and provide additional information. If their tasks are made easier, you are more likely to obtain quicker and more elaborate answers.

First: Try to photograph your bottles with a clean, contrasting solid-color background--a draped white or pastel sheet works well, but poster board or construction paper, cardboard, etc. will do--so that the embossing can be more clearly discerned.

Second: Don't totally rely upon photographs of curved and reflective surfaces to convey all the information one might need to assist you. Write full descriptions of all the embossing present on a given bottle. Include the location of the embossing, such as front, shoulder, bottom, back and etc. Pay attention to upper and lower case letters and all punctuation; then convey that information as accurately as possible. For instance: Does your "Kalispell" bottle have the following wording near the base of the backside? " "PROPERTY OF FLATHEAD COCA-COLA BOTTLING CO." in all capital letters? (I might have some very interesting news for you.) And is it a 7oz, content bottle?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler