Paying for eBay items from UK

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi folks -
I hope some reader can help me. I recently won an auction from eBay UK and live in the US. I've contacted the seller and asked to see what type of payment the seller prefers and so far no reply. I have the seller's address and payment options. The options listed were Postal Order/ Banker's draft and Personal check and in the item description is: Personal check and Money order/Cashiers check.

Now I've never done this before, so do I pay in USD or GBP. I've tried banks and the post office, AAA, and other sources and get the run around. This, I thought would be easier. Any suggestions???

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Meech, I always use a postal money order. Some over seas folk don't recognize one from any where else. Just use US dollar amounts.[:)]

bearswede

Reaction score
I'd be careful... I notice many overseas sellers will not accept US Postal MO's...

How about Roger? He might be able to help you with that...

Ron

capsoda

Reaction score
I've never had any problems using them to buy in England or Austraila but I sure would not send one for somthing I bought on Ebay Iran.[sm=lol.gif]

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hey ...a slight update:

I just got a 1 800 number from my bank that sets up a foreign draft. They will need the about in GBP and seller address, make up the draft and mail it directly to them or mail back to me to send. Is this a 'banker's draft' ???

Ron is right! In many cases the sellers overseas will not deal w/ USPS Money Orders. They are hard to cash or some other reason.

I want to give the seller a bit more time to reply before doing the draft thing. I may have to bug Roger w/ this directly. I hate to disturb him. Roger - do you have your ears on? [:)]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I would think your best bet would be an international money order made out in pounds.
That should result in the least fees for the seller. No guarantees though. International payments can be a pain unless you use something like paypal.

BARQS19

Reaction score
Truthfully the best way to go is paypal or bidpay. Ask and see if they will do that, or maybe even western union, I sent payment to a guy in Italy via western union one tiem. I know on paypal, because I did it yesterday, you can pay in either pounds or US dollars it doesn't matter, it all gets converted in the end. An international postal money is a pain in the neck but will do I guess, now whether it's suppose to be made out in pounds or not, I'm not sure. I always send cash, well hidden, if they don't accept paypal. Never had any problems doing it that way. If you want to know how to convert money you can go to www.xe.com and get the current rates.
Robert
BARQS19

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hey Matt -
Where do obtain an international MO??? Who sells them?

International payments can be a pain unless you use something like paypal.
I think this is why I was able to win this auction.

They do not accept Paypal or Bidpay.

Roger

Reaction score
Roger - do you have your ears on?

Sorry to be late on parade [:)]

Personally I have always used PayPal. I have UK collector friends who have received payment via Western Union though. The procedure is easy from the US buyers end, just go online to the WU website indicate who you want to pay and which WU representative office it will be collected from. You can pay WU by cc and it's all very easy. The problem is that the UK seller has to go and collect the money from their local WU representative office which may be some distance away from them. It also means that you need to know where the UK seller lives which requires them having to tell you.

I just got a 1 800 number from my bank that sets up a foreign draft. They will need the about in GBP and seller address, make up the draft and mail it directly to them or mail back to me to send. Is this a 'banker's draft' ???
Yes it sounds exactly like one but again you need the sellers address.

I think the key to this is communication with the seller. If the seller does not respond to any emails then it will be difficult to send them any money and probably unwise to do so.

Does the seller have 100% rating and many transactions?

- Roger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday