Recent pickups - Early American glass

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hey all -
I just wanted to show off a couple of my buys from this weekend. Pictured on the right is close to, but not exactly, a 3 mold GII-44 but with a different neck and a shaker type top. The only reference on this I have is on page 253 of American Glass.

The other on the left is a 3 mold toilet water, like a GI-7 on page 247. The one I have here has the two neck bands, but the vertical ribs stop at the lower band. Both are pontil scarred, colorless and early.

I've never seen a store with so much early glass and in Virginia! I'm not tellin' where it was because I'm heading back soon to get some more. [:D][:D][:D]

I paid a good bit (for me at least) for these and truly don't know much about the going value for them. Please comment if you have seen pieces like this and what they go for. I bought them because I like this type of glass and probably will not dig any or at least soon.

Ca83045.jpg

Attachments

• Ca83045.jpg
    Ca83045.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 55

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
The one at right is 4" tall. The left one is only 5 3/4" tall.

Zx70005.jpg

Attachments

• Zx70005.jpg
    Zx70005.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 61

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Another view....... BTW these were SUPER dirty before I rinsed them.

Yw66956.jpg

Attachments

• Yw66956.jpg
    Yw66956.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 62

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi Meech,

One of those bottles reminds me of this one I picked up at an antique mall booth for half price tag sale. Paid 25 cents, left the tag right on it. had a plastic flower stuck in it, gave that to the cashier. I'll take all the open pontils I can find at that price,he he. The one I got is 4 1/2 in tall. I am sure it is worth the price I paid but what would you say they go for today?

Yv66319.jpg

Attachments

• Yv66319.jpg
    Yv66319.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 61

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi Cliff-
Yours is what's called a castor type bottle. It was part of a set of condiment bottles that were in a round silver handled rack. The ledge on yours would rest in a hole or cutout in the rack. I don't have a photo for now that would explain it better. I hope I'm describing it well enough. Your top pic didn't go through, but yours isn't quite as early as the first pictured. The ones I pictured are from the 1820-40s range. Although pontilled, yours seems to be much later. Someone reading may be able to help more.

Extremely nice buy at that price! [:D] Most castor sets will have damage to some or all. This includes their stoppers or lids.

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
[>:]Sorry, and I hate doing this, but I'm bumping this post. I'm hoping that someone can tell me more about my recent buys, someone who may have missed it. It only got 53 looks 'till now.[:mad:]

Any info and/or comments? ? ? TIA

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hey,

Nice glass, possibly Boston and Sandwich, at least the decanter looks like pieces I've seen with that origin. They both look like New England to me though. As for price, I have no idea, but personally if I had gotten the 2 for under $200 I would be happy. Clear glass seems to demand less of a price, in cobalt or amethyst I'd have to add a zero :)

Sean

whiskeyman

Reaction score
MEECH..I missed this thread.

The one on the left appears to be a blown three mold Toilet Water bottle similar to those made at Sandwich. Ribbing reminds me of Louisville KY glass, but that's just me. The shape is similar to bottles made not only at Sandwich but at other New England glasshouses and also at Mantua,Oh. I imagine it's a style carried by glassblowers as they moved from place to place..

I can't find anything like the piece on the right.
Maybe TNCGAL has some additional help. I bet she missed this thread too.
I'll check and see if I have any other books with info...
Outstanding "finds"....!!!

[info from:American Glass- Pt.1 Blown & Molded/Pt.2 Pressed & Cut

oh I did see this thread title earlier...but figgered ya was talking about trucks....er sumthin'.....sooooo, I didn't look in.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229