Spring seeds?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

farmgal

Reaction score
Anyone is those cold climates like me planted any veggie seeds indoor yet? If so what? Farmgal

RedGinger

Reaction score
I did last year. I planted them after Memorial Day, as recommended, but we had one last frost, which killed a lot of them. Blankets just don't work to keep out a heavy frost. We tried! The peppers and a few others pulled through, but didn't have enough time to grow. I should have started growing the seeds earlier, indoors. I ended up with only a few peppers, lots of beets, and bought some heirloom tomato plants, which produced a lot of fruit.

I will have to buy my plants, already started, this year. Beets grow well, and fast from seeds, though. I will have tomatoes, English cucumbers, peppers, beets, herbs, and I'm not sure what else yet. We might also enlarge the garden a little. It's a raised bed.

What are you growing?

RedGinger

Reaction score
Fresh beet, from the garden

A67461C4EC304F2287F8549C9AC4C187.jpg

Attachments

• A67461C4EC304F2287F8549C9AC4C187.jpg
    A67461C4EC304F2287F8549C9AC4C187.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 60

farmgal

Reaction score
I just planted Tomato seeds and pepper seeds. First time trying to grow peppers from seed indoor. I have never had luck growing peppers outside. I will plant buttercup squash, spaghetti squash, cucumbers, zucchini, and peas out doors. I have my garden all planted in old tires. We have tons of pocket gophers. We put wire on the bottom so they can't borrow up. Have you tried to mini bell peppers that come in several colors. MAn they are awesome! Farmgal...

RedGinger

Reaction score
We have to put wires around the garden as we have lots of wildlife that would be more than happy to do the harvesting for us! I actually bought some mini sweet bell peppers a few weeks ago. They were good. I sliced them and baked them with some sausage, fingerling potatoes, onion, and garlic. Maybe I'll try growing some of those.

Can't beat homemade salsa with jalapenos and tomatoes from your garden.

rockbot

Reaction score
Its tropical here so we can plant most anytime. I know cauliflower and broccoli can handle cold. In fact its not cold enough here to grow them very well.[:D]
I did soybeans, sweet potato, lettuce and basil already. I'll shoot some pics when the rain stops.
Just started some cherry tomatoes. Hard to grow regular tomatoes out doors, too many fruit flies.[:(]

Rocky

RedGinger

Reaction score
Brussels Sprouts are another cold weather veggie. I love them! I'm envious of your year round planting.

farmgal

Reaction score
Rocky...You sound like you are health conscience growing sweet potatoes and soybeans? Here in North Dakota farmers grow big crops of soybeans for commercial use. However I have never heard of anyone local growing them. How do you use them?

farmgal

Reaction score
Red ginger have you ever had brussell sprouts with country gravy on them...Sure makes them tasty! Farmgal I forgot I grow white radishes also.

RedGinger

Reaction score
I did grow some really weird, misshapen radishes. I think my husband planted them just a little too high. They still tasted fine. I have not have the brussels sprouts like that, but it sure sounds good. The key to cooking them, is cut off the ends, cut an x in them, and cook in boiling, salted water for ten minutes. Otherwise, you get that strong, overpowering taste that so many don't like. I drain them and add butter. I like to dip them in ketchup sometimes. My grandmother taught me that one lol. This year, I'd like to try growing some candy striped beets.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960