The Annual Probe Search

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: diggermeister

Time once again for my annual probe search.
First; I know I could make my own IF I had a welder, I don't. I do have about fifteen 4 and 5 foot lengths of spring steel from automobile trunks found at a local boneyard. There's plenty more where they came from. And I have good pipe for handles. But again I am sans welder.
Does anyone know someone who makes GOOD Probes for sale?
FYI: Bongo's web page is no more. I have one now. It's ok
Jaken, whom I like the best, won't answer my eMails
http://jaken.tripod.com/probe.html
I also like these very much but he won't eMail me back either
http://bottleanddumpdiggingprobes.freehomepage.com/index.html
And then there are these, not too thrilled with the handle
http://www.cowboyblacksmith.com/probe.htm
and you guessed it; he won't responed either

Is there anyone out there who'll sell me a couple of good probes? 
       THANKS,
If you have all the parts why not find a local welder to weld the steel to the pipe, wouldn't cost you much, may even have a guy do it for free for you, seems foolish to waste the money on buying one when you could have several made for the cost of a single one...IMHO.....JIM

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hey Jim, That's a point well taken. I am wondering how they would duplicate the tip though. I've heard of a 'blob' of welding rod ground down but I like the look of the tip on the Jaken.

I just had a flash. If I could find a pro here in my home town I might get them to make several and, if there good, sell them cheap to other diggers that may need one. I'm going to look in to that.

epackage

Reaction score
There ya go DM....keep us up to date on your success....:O)

crozet86

Reaction score
The probes i use now have a tip that has a grooves cut into it from top of tip to the bottom of tip.The groove will collect the soil or ash such as in a privy from the ground and when you pull it out to check the tip you can easily see what you are probing.

athometoo

Reaction score
the shipping is what is expensive . the ones i made with a removable handle and the rod extends into the handle so no chance of stabbing yourself , have been 11 dollars to ship . odd size to package (made my own box) and cheaper without handle screwed on . even at a dollar a rod (wrecking yard ) 7dollars worth of pipe fittings , then the shipping . you are still looking at 20 bucks without your time and welding use . cant see a cheap way to have someone else make one and ship it out for less . jmo sam

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I have been making probes for a lot of years, and you most certainly do not need a welder. In fact, welding makes true spring steel brittle and subject to breakage at critical points. What you do need is a simple MAPP gas torch setup that's available from any hardware. MAPP gas burns hotter than propane and will heat your probe rod faster. I drill the bottom hole in the 1" steel conduit the fit the rod and the top at slightly smaller diameter. You want to bevel the top to only protrude to the very top of the handle, so that it can be braized over. The tip should have a grade 8 nut, only slightly larger than the rod diameter braized onto the beveled tip, not above it. I use fluxed brass braizing rod to apply both the handle and tip. DO NOT quench your hot spring steel, let it air dry only. Finally, use a grinding wheel to taper the nut on the tip slightly. This will allow the tip to slip easily into the soil and, upon contact with glass, will not damage it unless it is forced. Probing is a learned "art", so don't expect to get the "feel" at first attempt. Be patient, it will take time.

baltbottles

Reaction score
If there is enough interest at $40 I will make up some 5 foot probes and bring them to the Baltimore show. I may also have a spare Tri-pod for sale these are a must have for anyone digging deep privies on a regular basis. They save time and your back.

Chris

athometoo

Reaction score
THAT SOUNDS GREAT . how much is the simple mapp gas setup at the hardware store . i have have 2 oxy/acetlyne setups in my shop , and i know they go for about 450 apiece . but with the setup do you need to buy regulators and oxygen as well as mapp? sam

lexdigger

Reaction score
I have 5 footer that Mike made and have copied it several times over. Right now, I use a 4 footer, a 5 footer, and a 6 footer... but my 5 foot probe from Cali is still my BEST and favorite LUCKY probe!!! I did have to modify the tip for our thick clay soil here in Kentucky, but the rod and handle are still as sturdy as ever, even after 5 years of use and abuse!!!

brokenshovel

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: baltbottles I may also have a spare Tri-pod for sale these are a must have for anyone digging deep privies on a regular basis. They save time and your back.

Chris
What no autographed chair for sitting and pulling?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem