Upper peninsula privys

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Noleakjohn

Reaction score
Sounds good ironmountain i stay up in Lac labelle when i'm there i have to plan my time i live 8 hrs away i would like to have a Mi digging partner the privy i have permission to dig is up by the old cliff mine past Mohawk, i think there mite be a old well there also.

ironmountain

Reaction score
i know where you're talking about!! inlaws live in Houghton. Farm is in Liminga which is right by lake superior.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=liminga,+michigan&hl=en&ll=47.175099,-88.713484&spn=0.022783,0.055747&sll=45.00109,-86.270553&sspn=12.133489,28.54248&num=10&hq=liminga,&hnear=Michigan&t=h&z=15

On this map, the farm is at the top/right corner of Wall St and Little America Rd. (this is about 11miles directly North of Houghton) the Portage canal is to the right, Lake Superior to the left.. the farm goes from that corner to the other Wall St label and north to Little America Rd going east/west.

I have permission (almost all prive, some CFR) to hunt/be at..all the property west of the farm to lake superior. The squiggly road that is west of the pine plantation (the dark areas north a bit) is an old road to a guys house. The end of the rd is his house/driveway. The dark spots to the left of that is the apple orchard. Privy at his house is mid 1800's at least. he grew up and died there and my father in law's grandfather used to help out with apple picking there and father in law is 65...

There's an old shack and a worn to nothing privy near the orchard too...

the house with the car parts/privy i started on in the fall, is at the small north/south dirt 2track that is between wall st and wall st label to the west of the farm.
the rows running left/right are the small pine plantation that used to be a swamp and the long narrow strip was the yard. I have permission from his ggrandson (a judge) to be there...

the privy near the orchard and the guy's house would be a good place to start...or at your spot(s)... if you MD, Tear Lake is north of the farm and there used to be a boy scout camp there. Father in law's cousin owns all of that property now. Shouldn't be hard to get permission....

didn't mean to write a novel. Just nice to see someone else who comes up here to possibly dig with!

if you look up this website:http://www.coppercountryexplorer.com/
they have a ton of info/pics about places they've explored. Most of the mines from Houghton to Copper Harbor. There are a few mines that were small towns right on the mine property. you can explore there and dig/MD etc...

Noleakjohn

Reaction score
Thanks for the info sounds like we could have a great time, we are looking to be up that way around June 28th, the coppercountryexplorer is real cool been to a few of the site's, i have some local kin folk looking for some good old dump sites for us.

ironmountain

Reaction score
we should definitely get together and dig/hunt. If the 28th is definite, I'll make plans to get up there. So many places up there to hunt. I see some of the pics of mine ruins/empty houses etc..and I get an urge to do some heavy exploring. So many abandoned camps, houses, shacks in the woods up there.

There's an area up there called Red Ridge. If you find it on a map and layer it with Topo, you'll see how crazy it is. It's like someone took their hand and made an impression into the ground. You'll be standing on a ridge and see one on each side 200yds away. The high spot of the area is called Beacon Hill. Beacon Hill was a center for the Trimountain Mining Co. and was a station on the Copper Range RR. Still haven't explored that area for RR camps and mining camps...

We did find a small camp in the middle of nowhere. 1-2miles in. small rock and hand hewn log walls and an old privy hole. Father in law said his grandfather used to hunt that area and they'd overnight in that shack.

I should just take the kids up there for the summer and let my wife stay home and work!..

Noleakjohn

Reaction score
Digging in the U.P. the week of July 1st , have a lot of leads if anybody has the time lets git digging hey! Happy 4th of July to all!

deenodean

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Noleakjohn

Digging in the U.P. the week of July 1st , have a lot of leads if anybody has the time lets git digging hey! Happy 4th of July to all!

Dont forget to bring your camera and post some pictures.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: deenodean

ORIGINAL: Noleakjohn

Dont forget to bring your camera and post some pictures.

And the bug spray [:D]

Owen

Reaction score
Please let us know what you find/pics!!! Got to echo the reference to www.coppercountryexplorer.com A GREAT place to armchair explore!

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter