Van Beil's Rye & Rock

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ratzilla

Reaction score
Two questions - where's it from, and is it a liquor or a med? looks 1890ish...

435709C3484647B69AB8CEA0C2F6B574.jpg

Attachments

• 435709C3484647B69AB8CEA0C2F6B574.jpg
    435709C3484647B69AB8CEA0C2F6B574.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 73

surfaceone

Reaction score
02934r.jpg
LofC.

Hey Tom,

Nice one. Makes me wonder if it wasn't more firewater than medicine, though.

RyeRockVanBeil.jpg
"N. Van Beil & Co. of New York and Baltimore claimed on this card w/ date of May 1, 1880" From.

I think the whole Rock & Rye thing started around this era.

390279363211.jpg

There are some interesting and funky examples in this category.

290525685611.jpg
From.
350490761201.jpg
"SALOON BACK BAR BOTTLE 1881 ROCK CASTLE RYE h rosenthal cincinnati oh ohio" From.

botlguy

Reaction score
O.K. I'm familiar with the "Rock & Rye" but not the "Rye & Rock". Hmmm. And I can understand that Rye is whiskey or liquor distilled from Rye, a grain. But what is the ROCK in these formulas and why one word before the other?

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

O.K. I'm familiar with the "Rock & Rye" but not the "Rye & Rock". Hmmm. And I can understand that Rye is whiskey or liquor distilled from Rye, a grain. But what is the ROCK in these formulas and why one word before the other?
Rock and Rye is an American liqueur based on rye whiskey flavored with different fruits, with a citrus overtone. Each bottle of Rock and Rye has a chunk of rock candy in it.

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

ORIGINAL: botlguy

Rock and Rye is an American liqueur based on rye whiskey flavored with different fruits, with a citrus overtone. Each bottle of Rock and Rye has a chunk of rock candy in it.

Thank you. I should have known that but I've never dranken / drunken / drinkded Rye Whiskey or Whisky before.

surfaceone

Reaction score
RockCandyRyeWhiskeyHag.jpg
FROM.

Hey Jim,

For your further Rock & Ryeness...

rock_candy_rye_228x400_Rock%20Candy%20Bottle.png

"Rock and Rye is almost as old as the country it was born in and its history is just as vast and curious. Its humble beginnings can be traced back to the saloons of the burgeoning nation, where stern-faced barkeeps would pour a shot of rye and let the customers add their own rock candy, thereby creating a drink similar to the granddaddy of all cocktails: the Old Fashioned. The effects of the new concoction were so immediate and so powerful that by the mid 19th Century the Rock and Rye cocktail migrated from the bar to the pharmacy. As a pharmaceutical drink, it was used to snuff coughs, colds, sore throats, bronchitis, asthma, pneumonia, consumption, sniffles, grippes and chills, diseases of the throat, chest and lungs. No ailment great or small was immune to rock and rye's therapeutic might. Later, as men reacquired a taste for it and began drinking it for pleasure again, it became an American standard, prepared and bottled by distillers and bootleggers alike as it migrated back from the pharmacy to the bar. By then the legend had taken firm root in the national psyche. Celebrated in popular culture, rock and rye was mentioned by none other than Sheriff Pat Garrett as the libation of choice for his pals as they chased Billy The Kid across the rugged Western landscape.

"Little persuasion was necessary to start my friends. The rock and rye was produced, and after two or three libations, Don Francisco opened his combat with the windmills."

As each generation came of age it embraced rock and rye and made it its own. The Jazz Age flappers and philosophers not only drank it but cut many a rug to the legendary Earl Hines Orchestra's classic number "Rock and Rye". During the great Depression and Dustbowl Era, migrant workers had to find something to hold on to when flying at sixty miles an hour on a freight train, more often than not that something happened to be a bottle of rock and rye. As the next generation returned from the war and country music reached every living room in America through the radio, Grand Ole Opry luminary Tex Ritter, also penned a paean to his favorite cocktail." From.

Tex Ritter - Big Rock Candy Mountain.

138369.jpg

botlguy

Reaction score
WOW ! Surf, you are amazing. I thank you Sir. I absolutely LUV that kind of information, I'm full of Trivia and am rarely beaten at that game. But I SURE wouldn't bet aginst you nor would I play the game aginst you for fear of embarrasment.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem