Vernors Ginger Ale 150th B-Day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Before Keith said it I always wondered that if Vernor's trademark was not until 1880 couldn't he have produced it earlier but just not trade marked it? I don't know about trade marks but as far as I know a Patent will be pending sometines for years before approved. Are Trademarks the same? LEON.

P.S. First Faygo hutch was 1907. Kinda late as I think most people were starting to switch to the crowntop by then.

SODABOB

Reaction score
6. Hires. I love Hires. It's my favorite root beer. But, where do you buy it? Nowhere. I've heard there might be a place in Mississippi where you can get it. It's still listed on the Dr Pepper web site. But if Hires still is a brand, which is questionable, it's distribution is non-existent. Not sure it qualifies as "continuously produced".

Keith

Hires Root Beer is still being produced and available in many areas. You can even buy 12 Packs on eBay, The Sodafinder, and The Soda Emporium. I just checked and there are at least two listings for it currently on eBay.

Here's a link to one of the eBay listings ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hires-Root-...854514?hash=item46498f8a32:g:i5QAAOSwll1Wz4BD

Described:

[FONT=&amp]This item is for One 12-pack of Hires Root Beer in 12-oz cans. Expiration date 10-10-2016.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]This item will not come in original packaging. It will be unpacked so that the individual cans can be repacked into a large Priority Mail flat-rate box.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I wish the costs were cheaper, but this soda is expensive, very rare, I have to go to out-of-state to get it, and the shipping alone is more than $16.00.

[/FONT]
Note: This particular seller is located in Oregon

Hires Root Beer eBay September 9, 2016 Experation Date October 10, 2016.jpg

And here's the link to the Soda Emporium ...

http://soda-emporium.com/FRESH-12-P...edium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=google_base

Last edited:

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
I just checked both seltzer bottles and don't see any seam at all, even on the sides. I looked very carefully and felt for a seam, too.

The extracts have a pronounced seam running right up to the flat ring at the very top of the bottle.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I just checked both seltzer bottles and don't see any seam at all, even on the sides. I looked very carefully and felt for a seam, too.

The extracts have a pronounced seam running right up to the flat ring at the very top of the bottle.

Keith

Because the Extract bottles have a seam going all the way up and over the lip, they are most certainly machine made, dating them to about 1905 at the earliest.

As for the Seltzer bottles, that gets a little trickier. Based on what I know about them, seltzer bottles produced in places like Austria and Czechoslovakia were more of an art form and its possible they were hand blown during the entire time they were being produced. Whereas, many American made seltzer bottles eventually fell victim of the machine era of the early 1900s. So, it might take an expert in Austrian and Czech bottling making to accurately date them. The seams alone don't tell the whole story.

Additionally, I discovered that the mark on the base of the C.R. Holman seltzer bottle is ...

C St. S ... as in ... C Saint S

And even though I have found several examples with that same mark, no one, including me, seems to know what the C St. S stands for, other than it was a glass maker of some type in Austria. What I'm going to do is, to try and determine when the company brand names on the C St. S bottles I found started their operations, and from there hopefully be able to determine a circa date for when their bottles were made. I'll let you know if/when I figure it out.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Hopefully these photos will help. Here is the bottom of the Vernor's by Holman seltzer:

View attachment 174681

Those are the only markings. No markings on the spicket.

View attachment 174682

I also have have this one - sorry for driving all you bottle collectors crazy with this stuff - this is one of my prize pieces:

View attachment 174683

No manufacturer markings at all. The spicket says "Vernor Detroit Mich". Here are more photos attached. Any help with dates is very much appreciated.

P.S.

I forgot to ask if the C.R. Holman seltzer bottle has what collectors call a "Footed" base like the bottle does that you posted a full-image picture of? Based on what I've read, those so called "Footed" bottles were apparently made earlier than the standard-base bottles. But just how much earlier, I don't know, yet.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Okay, I'm finally making some progress - now we just need to figure out the date for Keith's C.R. Holman / Vernor's Ginger Ale seltzer bottle ...

CStS stands for ... Carl Stolzles Sohne ~ Vienna, Austria

Very confusing dates - but take a look, anyway

http://www.bottlepickers.com/trademarks.htm

http://www.cmog.org/library/palmen-press-kristall

http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/geisel-glaswerke-stoelzle.pdf

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass notes/mans-s.htm

http://dati.acs.beniculturali.it/oad/uodMarchi/MR027458

http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2010-4w-sg-stoelzle-zeittafel-neu.pdf

1886 Seltzer Bottle Patent (But different than Keith's)

https://www.google.si/patents/US334159

1925 Invoice

CSTS 1925.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Palmen Press-Kristall.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][h=2]Bibliographic Record Display[/h]
  • DatabaseThe Rakow Library Catalog
  • Author:C. Stölzle's Söhne. Heřmanova Hut, Plzeň, Czech Republic.
  • Title:Palmen Press-Kristall.
  • Publisher:[Wien : C. Stölzle's Söhne AG, n.d., 1932-1935] (Wien : Josef Gerstmayer)
  • Description:4 leaves : col. ill. ; 23 x 30 cm.
  • Notes:Cover title.
    Trade catalog.
    Glass manufacturer has been identified as C. Stölzle's Söhne AG of Vienna, Austria who owned multiple glasshouses during this time. Glassware in this catalog was manufactured at Heřmanova Hut, Plzeň, Czech Republic. There is no company name on the catalog, however a trademark of a circle, with 4 prunted points protruding outwards from the circle, with "C·St·S" on the inside ("St" is larger than other letters) confirms company name.
    Heřmanova Hut was established in 1907 by the company Carl Stölzle & Sohne and began producing glass in 1910.
    Catalog is not dated. Suggested date derived from related catalog (Bib no. 136043), whose catalog number was compared to other numbered and dated catalogs from Stölzle.
    Leaves numbered 24-27.
    Ware numbers all in the 18300 range.
    Includes pressed glass tableware, most of which seem to have the palm tree insignia emcompassed in the design of the piece.
    Includes plates, bowls, cups, saucers, knife rests, open salts, tumblers, pitchers, sugar and cream sets, vases, trays, ashtrays, perfume, atomizers, covered boxes, ring holders, and more.
    Glassware in this catalog can be found in "Pressed glass: price list for catalogue 186" (Bib 136043), with the same ware numbers and same prices. That catalog was attributed to Heřmanova Hut which was owned by C. Stölzle's Söhne AG - the company whose trademark is found on this catalog.
  • Provenance:Purchase; James Steerman;
  • Record Number:132392
  • Subjects:C. Stölzle's Söhne AG. Heřmanova Hut--Catalogs.
    Pressed glass--Czech Republic--Catalogs.
    Tableware--Catalogs.
    Glass industry and trade--Czech Republic--20th century.
[/FONT]

SODABOB

Reaction score
A trademark of a circle, with 4 prunted points protruding outwards from the circle, with "C·St·S" on the inside ("St" is larger than other letters) confirms company name.

VERNORS CSTS HOLMAN SELTZER BASE MARK.jpg

"Prunted Points" ?

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
prunt

[pruhnt]

Noun 1. A small mass of glass fused to the body of a glass piece.

Origin of prunt:
1890-95; of obscure origin

Related forms:
prunted, adjective

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Heřmanova Hut was established in 1907 by the company Carl Stölzle & Sohne and began producing glass in 1910.

Question Mark (3).jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete