911-------- where were you?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
one little post note;
We went to Lambeau field to watch the Packers play shortly after 911. There is an airport nearby. A plane flew over the stadium (on it's regularly scheduled route). You could have heard a pin drop. Not a sound from the stands as everyone watched the sky. An announcer then came on the PA and informed the crowd that planes fly near the stadium and that we should not be alarmed . . .

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
second post note.
My brother and I dove in the Milwaukee river that November after we had heard reports that tons of bottles had been found when they were digging footings for the Hoan bridge. At that time people were still worried that bridges might be targets for terrorists. As we were searching a huge coast guard cutter intercepted our 18 foot boat and questioned us. When they saw two english speaking balding white guys, they eased up on their concerns. They asked us to leave but said that it was not their juriddiction and would not bother us again.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
I had just arrived at the Helsinki, Finland airport and was walking through the concourse. The Finnish army were just starting to come into the airport as a security measure. I spent the rest of the day in the hotel, switching amongst three tv stations. CNN gave the American perspective, BBC gave the British perspective, and Europe's French Channel 5 carried CBC English-language feeds, with the occasional French-Canadian feed, and this gave the Canadian perspective.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I'm a bit dissapointed they just built one new tower.
I think they should have built two new ones looking the same as the old ones except one foot taller.
That would make a statement.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Lemme share a practical application of the events of 9/11 as well as yesterday in this context:

People say things which rub others the wrong way, but rarely do they kill the offending wordsmith because of it, at least in my surroundings, which I am blessed to be surrounded by.. as this world's population devolves into what it is, and unfortunately will become, it's increasingly important to carry the torch of an enlightened, tolerant, industrious civilization, full of basic rights and freedoms and also accepting of the differences amongst humans... until someone attacks us, then we should eviscerate them. Then go back to work and keep busy being civilized and prosperous.

twowheelfan

Reaction score
i live in the lower east side NYC. i was at work in brooklyn when the plane hit.
i went to the roof of the one story shop that i was working at and saw the destruction. i was telling people to take it easy, it happened to the empire state bldg in the 1940's a plane hit and it was bad, but the building is stronger than you think.with all the smoke and such it must look much worse than it actually is. i called my wife who was somewhat close with our 1 year old daughter to ask if she knew anything. she didn't know any more than i did but she would call if she heard anything. then i watched the second plane hit.
game changer. now i knew that it wasn't an accident. i called my wife again, no answer her cell phone reception went dead. got her on the land line. pretty much sat there on the roof aghast. then the one tower fell. now i wanted to go home. the fighter jets were racing by now like they were doing some airshow, too low and too fast for peacetime. i called my wife again but this time no land line. scared now. jets, tower down, no contact with wife and baby so close. second tower went down. i went to go home but the williamsburg bridge was closed off. stuck in brooklyn with family in nyc. got cellphone calls from several concerned family members in AZ andCA. asking how we were but i had to tell them that i didn't know what was up with my wife and kid. finally later i was allowed to walk over the bridge to my house (4 miles) only to find tanks and army type vehicles blocking my street with guys that were carrying m16's asking me for my ID. all quiet. not a single taxi, car, airplane or anything. and the smell.... if you ever smelled a house fire that is exactly what it was like. not a bonfire or campfire, the smoldering acrid smell of things that were not supposed to burn. my family was ok. i have a few friends who lost loved ones there. im sad for them. i still don't really know what feelings i have. still kind of processing. my dad was in vietnam in 1963-4 and never really talks about it. i understand now a little.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
What I don't want to forget is that our world is loaded with azwholes who want to kill who they hate and who offends their profit. They want to kill them so bad that they will die in the process.. to be a hero of their polluted cause, rather than have a worthy, productive, civilized life.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I'm a bit dissapointed they just built one new tower.
Gunth. I realize that you are trying to be funny and that you don't like non-bottle talk. But honestly, this is so far below your consitantly high level of posts that I wonder if an imposter is posting under your name.

Gunth, maybe you like to yank a few chains now and then. I'm suggesting that this isn't the right way. Thousands of people died on Spetember 11th. It wasn't a fun day and it's certainly not funny.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles