Alligator Oil bottle from Crows Drugstore, Jefferson, Texas

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dr Pepper bottle man

Reaction score
This pic is of Crows Drugstore does glass, Jefferson, Texas.

10FCF8203F2644B19502C745EA245D75.jpg

Attachments

• 10FCF8203F2644B19502C745EA245D75.jpg
    10FCF8203F2644B19502C745EA245D75.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 37

Lordbud

Reaction score
There are all states dose glass collectors who would likely pay top dollar for a dose glass with a crow perched on a mortar and pestle. Wow, really nice glass. The prescription bottle is a beauty as well. We've got a handful of Texas collectors/diggers on the forum who might know something.

texasdigger

Reaction score
I would say it is just as likely a skin cancer med. It is still common in Texas, and other parts of the south to cook reptile fat down to oil then apply it to open skin cancer ulcers. Also used on open tumors. I have seen it work with pug dog of mine. She had an open tumor on her belly that the vet could not get to heal. A friend of mine made an oil from cooked down rattlesnake fat, and after applying it a few times the wound began to heal. In a few weeks only a scar was left behind.

I have seen the bottle, and it is a killer. One of my top five for a complete one. There are more out there, but who knows where. I still want one of the chill cures also, but none have come up for sell in a bit.

Killer dose glass!

texasdigger

Reaction score
One more thing I recently saw a killer Jefferson bottle that I have never heard of. Two were recently recovered. It is a tombstone flask with J. Sedbury Jefferson Texas, and has two large peaches with leaves embossed on the front. It is very early for a Texas flask, and is a real killer. I think it was some type of medical peach liquor. I want one of the Sedbury cordial bottles bad, but I have never even seen one in person.

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
What a great bottle, it has so much going for it. Rarity, small Texas town, embossed animal, just a great bottle. Never seen one, thats for sure.

Years ago I started a little "sub-collection" of bottles with "animal-oils" embossed on them. I had to give up on it, maybe I'll try it again some time down the road. I sure would have loved an alligator oil bottle!

The ones i can remember having were Bears Oil, Beaver Oil, Tiger Oil, Sperm sewing machine Oil, Cod Liver oil, and a couple others I can't remember. It is such a cool category to collect, in terms of combining history and bottle collecting. Just the concept of rendering down oil from animal fat, and selling it as a cure or remedy. Conjures up some really fascinating images of days gone by

Great bottle. If I stumbled upon one of those in a box lot at an estate auction or something, I'd be back in the animal oil bottle collecting business again.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles