Applied color labels (acl) - hand painted labels & machines

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Do you guys know when the embossed lip (A bottle of milk is a bottle of health) type was produced by thatcher in pyro?

PDC

Thanks for participating.

I took a quick look around and found the following regarding the slogan ...

"A Bottle of Milk is a Bottle of Health"

1. Blue Pyroglaze
2. Small Child w/ Building Blocks
3. Embossed on base in a square [IPM]
4. IPM stands for "Ideal Pure Milk"

The reference was dated ...

But it didn't say and I don't know if this was the first/earliest Pyro milk bottle with that slogan. I looked for one of the Pyro, Child/Building Blocks bottles but have been unable to find one. I hope this helps.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Last year I found a Jumbo Cola bottle like the 1934 example in the oldest ACL thread, and purchased it. With no pics of the bottom, it arrived and I was very happy to see that it was dated 1934 also. The label isn't perfect, but one side displays very well. Another example showed up in a Facebook group on the subject as well.

MCglass

Thanks for sharing.

My Jumbo Cola bottle should arrive today or Monday, and I will post some pictures of it after it arrives.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I don't mind you dinking with the picture at all. This is a fun project. The label says ???? Superior Quality. ??? probably being some dairy somewhere.

View attachment 184219

bottle-bud

Thanks.

The "Superior Quality" part looks correct, and I'm thinking the top word might be "Thatcher" ???

SODABOB

Reaction score
I came across this Thatcher poster and thought it was interesting. Notice the various Design Codes/Numbers. Some of the names are ...

[FONT=&amp]Kane Dairy
Martin Creamery
Bryan's Dairy
Burgess fresh farm milk
Dairy Service Company

I checked several of these names and they were legitimate dairies. Unfortunately, it didn't say what year the poster was printed. Perhaps some of the Design Codes will lead to other clues ...

[ Save and Zoom for details ]

[/FONT]
Thatcher Pyroglaze.jpg

Thatcher Pyroglaze (2).jpg

Thatcher Pyroglaze (3).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
In Search of ...

Earliest / First Thatcher Pyroglazed Soda Bottle

The general consensus is that the earliest known painted label soda bottle is the 1934 Jumbo Cola. However, that's an Owens-Illinois bottle. But what about the Thatcher Manufacturing Company's first painted label (Pyroglazed) soda bottle? They definitely made soda bottles, as evidenced by what follows.

I'm not 100% certain how to decipher their date-codes/marks, but after looking at several of them it appears the date codes might be easily recognized. Check out the following and see what you think. Please note the question marks ???

Except for the Gran'pa Graf's bottle, the codes I'm including were part of the seller's description. Unfortunately, sellers seldom include clear pictures of the bases, and more often than not, no picture of the base at all.

Here's what I've found so far ... The codes/numbers for each bottle are included - All are Thatcher bottles

Thatcher Makers Mark - mTc = Thatcher Manufacturing Company

Thatcher Makers Mark TMC Thatcher Manufacturing Company.jpg

Leary's - 2608 E 2 50 (1950 ?)

Thatcher Leary's Bottle 2608 E 2 50.jpg

Golden Slipper - 2910 E1 53 (1953 ?)

Thatcher Golden Slipper 2910 E1 53 mTc.jpg

Tootsie - 2349 E 4 (1949 ?)

Thatcher Tootsie Soda Bottle 2349 E 4.jpg

Seacrest - 2451 E57 (1951 or 1957 ?)

Thatcher Seacrest Bottle 2451 mTc E57.jpg

Gran'pa Graf's - 2367 E 47 2 (1947 ?)

Thatcher Gran'pa Graf's Bottle Front 2367 E mTc 47 2.jpg

Gran'pa Graf's Base

Thatcher Gran'pa Graf's Bottle Base 2367 E mTc 47 2.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
And there's this ...

From a Bottle Research Group (BRG) article - No date indicated - Late 1930s / early 1940s ???

View attachment 184250

Kist - Described as a Thatcher bottle - But no base marks included in description - Exact date unknown

View attachment 184251

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
In Search of / Continued ...

If
the two-digit numbers are dates, then what I'm hoping to find (with your help) is a Thatcher pyro soda bottle marked with ...

E33
E34
Through E39

Because I don't currently know when the first Thatcher pyro soda bottle was produced, the earliest so-called date code might be from the 1940s, such as ...

E40
Through E49

???

Help!?

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Just for the record, here's the entire 3 pages from the 1939 Julian Toulouse article that sparked my interest for this thread. I got to thinking about the reference to "hand painted" bottles and strongly suspect it means ...

Hand Stenciled

If my assumption is correct, I'm thinking the hand-stenciling was done by the glass factories themselves and not by individual bottlers. Nor do I currently believe that hand-painted means with a paint brush. Hence, my continuing research will, among other things, involve a search for any of those so called hand "stencils."

Note: Some of those stencils were addressed in my "Earliest ACLs" thread, but this time I'm going to dig a little deeper. After all, isn't that part of what bottle collectors do; "Dig" :rolleyes:

From the ...

First Annual Blue Book of the National Carborator and Bottler ~ February 1939

[Save + Zoom to read]

Toulouse ACL Article 1939 (1).jpg

Toulouse ACL Article 1939 (2).jpg

Toulouse ACL Article 1939 (3).jpg

[Cropped from above - I did the red underlining]

Toulouse ACL Article 1939 (4).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
NEWS FLASH!

It just came to my attention of the possible existence of 1930-31-32 ACLs. I will do a follow up on this just as soon as I can confirm a few things and get my ducks in a row ...

Ducks in a row (2).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
My Jumbo Cola bottle arrived today (See pics) ...

1. Its in medium condition - 7.5 - Numerous Flea Bites - Poor ACL - But no chips or cracks.
2. The base marks are 3 <(I)> 4 for Owens-Illinois 1934. (It appears to be identical to Morbious_Fod's example)
3. The O-I plant number is a 3 for Huntington, West Virginia.

I used a razor blade and tried to scratch off a portion of the 'ghost' ACL but it didn't effect it at all - convincing me that what's left of the label is "fused" into the glass and not hand painted/stenciled. All things considered, not a bad investment of $8.99 total for a soda bottle intended for research and experimental purposes.

Jumbo Cola Bottle 1934 (2).jpg

Jumbo Cola ACL Label (2).jpg

Jumbo Cola Base 1934 (2).jpg

Jumbo Cola Base 1934 (3).jpg

Jumbo Cola Base with 3 4 for 1934 (2).jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member