Best way to find bottles that were dumped in a deep, muddy river?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

willong

Reaction score
A clam rake is a possibility.
You beat me to it Harry!

I've been 600 miles away from home involved in a pressing and physically taxing project for past six weeks, or I would have offered the same suggestion. Haven't had much time and energy to spare for participating in this or another forum that I visit.

Also, my motorhome and most its contents, including my laptop, burned during the trip. I find cellphones frustrating compared to a computer with a keyboard. I'm home for a couple days to address some tasks before returning to the project in Montana; and I needed to take a break from wading through almost 1200 accumulated emails. I figured a visit to Antique Bottles.net would be less taxing than viewing additional videos of the Ukrainian's ordeal. Moreover, I've been following the adventures of MountainMan304 and a couple other members.

willong

Reaction score
Now just to find one long enough.
Extending a handle is easy enough. Pike poles, such as used by workers on log rafts, and boat hooks can be obtained in lengths up to at least 25 feet. The aluminum handle versions are quite light weight.

A 20' pike pole with fiberglass handle is available if you want non-conducting material for added safety should you ever be raking for bottles near energized cables.

Quick searches of "pike pole" or "boat hook" or perhaps even just "20' fiberglass pole" will return plenty of choices in material, lengths and prices. I found examples with D-handle ends that might be desirable if you are attempting to pull the rake through thick, sticky mud.

1651291877192.png

A lower cost, albeit heavier and less ridgid alternative would be PVC pipe. I think one could add sufficient rigidity by filling a PVC handle with expanding urethane foam, which should float the tool should you ever lose grip.

MountainMan304

Reaction score
Extending a handle is easy enough. Pike poles, such as used by workers on log rafts, and boat hooks can be obtained in lengths up to at least 25 feet. The aluminum handle versions are quite light weight.

A 20' pike pole with fiberglass handle is available if you want non-conducting material for added safety should you ever be raking for bottles near energized cables.

Quick searches of "pike pole" or "boat hook" or perhaps even just "20' fiberglass pole" will return plenty of choices in material, lengths and prices. I found examples with D-handle ends that might be desirable if you are attempting to pull the rake through thick, sticky mud.

View attachment 236599

A lower cost, albeit heavier and less ridgid alternative would be PVC pipe. I think one could add sufficient rigidity by filling a PVC handle with expanding urethane foam, which should float the tool should you ever lose grip.
Hey Will, good to see you drop back in! I hope things are progressing with your situations and a resolution to all of those misfortunes are in sight. Great ideas with using a pike pole or boat hook to extend the length of the clam rake. It'd definitely be best to use something made of PVC, as there seem to be some underwater electrical lines laid. Graduation is coming soon, so hopefully I'll be able to test all of this theory we're throwing around and I can share the results within the month.

willong

Reaction score
Hey Will, good to see you drop back in! I hope things are progressing with your situations and a resolution to all of those misfortunes are in sight. Great ideas with using a pike pole or boat hook to extend the length of the clam rake. It'd definitely be best to use something made of PVC, as there seem to be some underwater electrical lines laid. Graduation is coming soon, so hopefully I'll be able to test all of this theory we're throwing around and I can share the results within the month.
Have you had any bottle hunting adventures in the past month; ever rake that muddy river bottom yet?

MountainMan304

Reaction score
Have you had any bottle hunting adventures in the past month; ever rake that muddy river bottom yet?
Unfortunately not. Employment isn't the talk of the town in West Virginia right now--clam rakes and kayaks aren't too cheap! I have mapped a ton of places lately using KMZ overlays and historical documents in my time off, though. Waiting for the temperature to cool down so some of this underbrush dies out. Ticks are rampant lately! May try to go out soon, have had a few decent finds at the spot we've discussed. Just gotta tackle this arachnophobia first.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese