Digging ethics how do you operate

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ironmountain

Reaction score
Luckily I'm digging dumps and 1 cellar hole and a few privy sites on the family farm.

All the stuff I find on the farm worth selling,(mostly ACL's so far) I sell and give the money to my father in law for the "farm fund".
This is to offset taxes, utility bills (electric..everything else is a well or woodstove), and general funds for repairs etc.

I also lightly "suggested" that we pull all the scrap from the woods (yoopers are notorious for just leaving stuff or chucking stuff into the woods)...so far just barely a dent in the scrap, we've paid the taxes on the farm for the next 3 1/2 years.

The main goal for all of this is to put on an addition for my 2 nephews and my daughter who will be hunting soon...want to make a mudroom and a new "bedroom"...oh...and to buy guns for hunting for all of the kids.

So far the only digging partner(s) I've had are my wife/son/daughter and they basically just stand there and let me dig while they sift through everything...So no issues yet.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: ironmountain

Luckily I'm digging dumps and 1 cellar hole and a few privy sites on the family farm.

All the stuff I find on the farm worth selling,(mostly ACL's so far) I sell and give the money to my father in law for the "farm fund".
This is to offset taxes, utility bills (electric..everything else is a well or woodstove), and general funds for repairs etc.

I also lightly "suggested" that we pull all the scrap from the woods (yoopers are notorious for just leaving stuff or chucking stuff into the woods)...so far just barely a dent in the scrap, we've paid the taxes on the farm for the next 3 1/2 years.

The main goal for all of this is to put on an addition for my 2 nephews and my daughter who will be hunting soon...want to make a mudroom and a new "bedroom"...oh...and to buy guns for hunting for all of the kids.

So far the only digging partner(s) I've had are my wife/son/daughter and they basically just stand there and let me dig while they sift through everything...So no issues yet.
5 guns now yor talkinhg[:)]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: glass man

I love you Rick..but it would have been so hard not to have grabbed that puce flask from you and run away as fast as I could...course I could run back then,but I am pretty sure you woulda caught me and buried me in the hole it came out of![:)]

I have always dug alone so me and me never had any trouble over who was gonna get what...but then I only dug house dumpps and the old town dump...would be different if I was digging the kinds deep pits yall do.JAMIE
That's ok Gman run all you want,I would have sacked your azz. In the end zone hahahahah

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Greed affects some people differently and their true colors come out when a potential high value site is found. It only takes being burned once by a fellow digger to drop them like a hot rock. Yes, bad experiences have probably happened to any digger with any time in the pits, as it were. Choosing digging partners is not always easy and good ones are rare in this day and age. Two fellow diggers have proven themselves to be above the greed fray and not "value oriented", but rather in it for the love of the hobby. It is a hobby, not a fleepin' bank account. Sure, we all like to find a great bottle, but that does not happen with any particular frequency. When it does the excitement factor rises, but we can't allow that to be the driving factor. We dig because we enjoy it. Every pit is a piece of history and should be cherished for what it is, and not excavated with the love of money as a driving factor.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CALDIGR2

Greed affects some people differently and their true colors come out when a potential high value site is found. It only takes being burned once by a fellow digger to drop them like a hot rock. Yes, bad experiences have probably happened to any digger with any time in the pits, as it were. Choosing digging partners is not always easy and good ones are rare in this day and age. Two fellow diggers have proven themselves to be above the greed fray and not "value oriented", but rather in it for the love of the hobby. It is a hobby, not a fleepin' bank account. Sure, we all like to find a great bottle, but that does not happen with any particular frequency. When it does the excitement factor rises, but we can't allow that to be the driving factor. We dig because we enjoy it. Every pit is a piece of history and should be cherished for what it is, and not excavated with the love of money as a driving factor.
Here! Here!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Thanks Tom
I got to thinking about the subject after talking with an old friend of mine that I grew up with. We started to talk bottles and he named a few people that we dug with as young adults.
My friend has been digging with these guy for the past few years and man have they changed for the worst. This is what my friend told me.
They have become " bottle mongers" they both care about money over history and the love of digging bottles .Joey will jump down in to the hole and pull a bottle out that you just half dug ot,I am not kidding,these guys need. Help.
When it comes to permissions,these guys will not ask if they can bring someone to a dig they just do it,no respect. Once they invited someone on a dig I got permission for and I wasn't even there! I had to work,again NO RESEPCT. Needless to say he no longer digs with these bums. What were they thinking? People like that would last one dig with me.

Jim

Reaction score
That's exactly how I see it, Mike. The greedsters need to find some ambition and start a business of some kind if they are that interested in making money. I get the occasional innocent but misguided question of "How much money do you make at this?" My reply is always the same. "It's a hobby, not a job. I go to work to pay the bills. I dig because I enjoy it." It's too bad we live on opposite sides of the country, I'd be happy to dig some pits with a guy like you.

I have dug with Rick a few times, and I wish he lived closer so we could do it more often. You rock, SickRick [8D] ~Jim

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
No you Rock Jim Morison [8D] Riders on the storm>>>>>> [:D]
Yeah its a shame you dont live closer,we would be havin a hell of a time man.We need to get something going (me and badger)then you can shoot on down our way.

sem_yeto

Reaction score
I'd been tipped off about by a local non-bottle person about an old ranch house that had just been torn down. So, I invited a digger-guy I'd known for quite a long time to go and probe n dig it with me. Well, while waiting for us to both get a free wknd, I found out a month or so later that the guy I invited went out there with another guy and dug it without me, shorlty after I'd told him where the fresh ranch demo was . They wouldnt even say what they found, but word later got out that they dug several pontilled cobalt sodas, some of which were rare misspelled variants.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn