Dr. Townsend's Sarsaparilla bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Traderjack

Reaction score
I read with interest the posts by Blade and pictures on his Dr. townsend's bottle. I have a similar bottle which came out of a 175 year old farmhouse in Pulaski, NY. It was definitely made with a sand chip pontil. You can feel and see the embedded sand and a speck of glass.It's in great shape with wear marks only on the bottom. .One side says"Dr.(with the r underlined) Townsend's". the next side says"sarsaparilla" and the third side says "ALBANY NY". The letters "NY" are under the city "ALBANY". I am trying to sell it on Ebay and have posted pictures there. However I am getting various replies relative to color and where it was manufactured. To me the color at the top looks like the color in the picture posted by Blade. It is definitely darker in color in the bottom half and the glass on the inside appears thicker in this area. My wife has had this bottle sitting on a shelf for many years as it was her house that it came out of. Any further info from forum members would be greatly appreciated.

2find4me

Reaction score
Sweet! Where did you come upon this bottle? You have the older type of the Dr. Townsend's, a lot more valuable than the regular TOC version.

Traderjack

Reaction score
nhpharm above has the correct link. My wife lived in a 175 year old farmhouse on Clark Road in Pulaski, NY in the1940's This botttle was in the attic and it has been in her possession since.

Traderjack

Reaction score
I'm open for an offer. Contact me at: dsnobird7@bellsouth.net

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
What have the offers been so far? 2K$ is a bit much don't take a couple hundred. It's a good form and has good age to it.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Nice, if I'm not mistaken Antique Bottle & Glass Collector magazine just came out with an article on these early ones in the past 2 - 3 months.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I don't do professional appraisals but that sounds like someone wanting to double or better their money. There is nothing wrong with that but 2K is still off base. You'll have to figure the commission and stuff to be safe with what you want in any market.It sound like it was free to you but holds sentimental value and you'll have to find the point that you reach for that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem