How to tell if it's a good place to look?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

foster2100

Reaction score
I understand that my friend! Any luck at the church/ school?

I'm going to ask about that but I do the majority of my metal detecting at the start of spring. I've got permission from a woman that me and my wife knows to go creek walking back up on her property, I do a lot of this kinda stuff in the weeks before Spring because of briars and yellow jackets, i hate those things, and it's just better weather all around.

foster2100

Reaction score
I hate it when its to muddy.

I will take an old pair of jeans and cut the legs out of them and each leg cut them down the middle and use that for like a mat so I don't get too muddy, but this happens every winter with the snow and rain the ground here just gets so soggy and around here you hit the clay layer within a lot of times I'm gonna say 2 feet, maybe not even that. Wet clay is so tiring when your digging through it.

foster2100

Reaction score
What are you using to dig with, me i take a pick, a scratcher, hand shovel and my favorite digging tool it's unconventional but i like it cordless hammer drill with a bulb auger attachment it breaks up that 1st layer really nice and doesn't chunk the dirt like a shovel, am considering getting a longer auger attachment for it actually.

anj2006

Reaction score
It depends on where i am going to dig actually. I take a long handled spade, long and short handled four prong rake, garden trowel , a small one handed garden three prong scraper, good pair of root cutters, some wooden stakes for when i am on a bottle i use it to scrape so i dont break it! I have alot of tools i use! It just depends on where!

anj2006

Reaction score
Now if i am digging a privy! A five foot probe , long and short spade, scraper, root cutters, garden trowel, various other things like a good pack ( to bring your finds home). I have never used anything to kneel on, though i have used some knee pads in the past.

foster2100

Reaction score
Now if i am digging a privy! A five foot probe , long and short spade, scraper, root cutters, garden trowel, various other things like a good pack ( to bring your finds home). I have never used anything to kneel on, though i have used some knee pads in the past.

I really need to invest in some good knee pads myself, my knees have gotten progressively worse.

anj2006

Reaction score
Yea clay does suck sometimes, it can be a pain in the rear!!! I have never heard of anybody using a hammer drill with a auger attachment, if that works for ya, i guess have at it!!! Bees are a problem for me, i am highly allergic!!!!!!!!!! I have a kit i have to have with me all the time even when i am not digging.. not good if i get stung!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh always have a good pair of gloves and a first aid kit.

foster2100

Reaction score
Yea clay does suck sometimes, it can be a pain in the rear!!! I have never heard of anybody using a hammer drill with a auger attachment, if that works for ya, i guess have at it!!! Bees are a problem for me, i am highly allergic!!!!!!!!!! I have a kit i have to have with me all the time even when i am not digging.. not good if i get stung!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh always have a good pair of gloves and a first aid kit.

Excellent advice. Found any gloves that are better than others for digging? I know that can't put a price on a good pair of gloves, I'm guilty of buying the rubber palmed gloves and they work but not much grip in mud.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson