Memphis Barrel

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

texasdigger

Reaction score
Great bottle Robert! Could not happen to a better guy! As for the comparison between the other barrel, and this one I like the Memphis bottle more. The top on it is way cruder, and the condition is just fabulous. When you first told me about it I said it would clear a thousand. My bet know is that it will go around the 1,200.00-1,500.00 dollar mark. If you get a couple bigtimers wanting it who knows where it will stop. What a great find man!

Brad

phil44

Reaction score
That is a great find, not really up on my southern bottles but it must be one of the most desirable from Tennesee. I wouldn't be surprised if it was worth more than anyones mentioned here so far.

truedigr

Reaction score
I really do appreciate the great replies. I've been due to find a good one. Found a couple Dr. Pepper King of Beverage bottles for $5 a piece at a yard sale. Found an olive pontilled Cornucopia / Urn flask for $10 at an antique mall once. I have dug a few $500 ss Cokes in the past. A couple years ago I crawled under a house and found an unknown med from Texas. I guess this one tops all the above. Good finds are in the Antique Malls, you just have to check back in pretty regularly. The dealers get their stock from yard, garage, estate, and antique auctions. Yes, some of them have the same stuff year after year. I hadn't been to the one I bought the barrel in for about a year or so. This bottle was put there by a man from a nearby town consigning a few items two days prior to me purchasing it. You have to check every booth and every nook and cranny. For some reason, bottles will be put in drawers, in wardrobes, behind pictures on shelves, in closed boxes, and just about anywhere. This bottle was on an antique vanity next to a silverplated grooming set. When I saw it, I did a double take. I picked it up and turned it every way possible and almost didn't buy it. Now I am thankful I did. Robert

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Dang, I had almost cured myself of compulsively searching antique shops/malls over and over, thinking I'd hit it big. Now, after what you've found here, I'll be back at my old haunts :)

Are you going to tell us all how much you paid for it ? :)

Regardless, me thinks you did well.

CONGRATULATIONS ! WHAT A SCORE

texasdigger

Reaction score
Robert is a bottle hound! If they are around he will be the one to find it! He and I dig together a lot, and both have had some killer finds in the last year or so! This winter we will dig something to top our two previous finds Rob! Come on cold weather. Posts like this get my blood going!

I want to learn how t scuba dive so I can keep hunting in the summer. I hate this time of year because it is almost impossible to do any digging.

Brad

Here is the unknown med Robert found under the house he spoke of. One of my favorite bottles! Second from the left. Cohens Brittish Cough Balsam Hyam Cohen Waxahachie Texas with a British crown. Very early by Texas standards.

23C5EAD4EA004F2498E8026E40F2A362.jpg

Attachments

• 23C5EAD4EA004F2498E8026E40F2A362.jpg
    23C5EAD4EA004F2498E8026E40F2A362.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 52

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I held the Maysville barrel before it sold when Reggie had it. If I remember correctly it sold for 2500.
It had some good Olive tone in it.
I believe your Memphis barrel is a Whiskey and not a Bitters.
It should do well at auction . Please let me know when you consign it , and with what auction house.
Thanks , Brian

truedigr

Reaction score
Thanks for showing that bottle again Brad. Hopefully we can dig a few more of those. Just wonder how many more unknown bottles are out there????? Bram, I was waiting for someone to ask. The tag said $22.00. They gave me a 10% discount which made it $20. Robert

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I THINK you'll get a good return on that investment[;)] I'm guessing somewhere around 100x. Awesome antique mall find. I only seem to see bottles that they want twice what they are worth...

Jim G

ORIGINAL: truedigr

Thanks for showing that bottle again Brad. Hopefully we can dig a few more of those. Just wonder how many more unknown bottles are out there????? Bram, I was waiting for someone to ask. The tag said $22.00. They gave me a 10% discount which made it $20. Robert

IllinoisDigger

Reaction score
Hello Truedigr,
Great Find as stated by those above.
With all due respect, as I am sure you have had lots of people "ask", but if the bottle is for sale, please contact me via PM, as I have a third party request that I ask on his behalf. If you decide to consign the bottle to an auction, please let me know when and where.

Thank you.
IllinoisDigger

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem