Memphis Barrel

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Robert,

Great discovery, good sir! Here's hoping you do very well with any impending sale.

I did find a reference to Stillman & Breen:

"MEMPHIS DAILY APPEAL, [MEMPHIS, TN], April 20, 1862, p. 2, c. 7
Bottles, Bottles.—Bring on your second-hand bottles. We will pay the highest cash price for bottles delivered at our store on Second street.
Stillman & Breen." From.

Bottle dealers? Saloon keepers? Don't know much yet, but I'm still looking...

Treacher.jpg

truedigr

Reaction score
Appreciate the info Jim. This bottle turns out to be really rare and desirable. I am mailing the bottle to Jim Hagenbuch this week. He is going to display it in the next major show. It is going to offered in the next catalog auction coming up in fall. Many thanks for the kind replies, and not so kind ones. Robert

glass man

Reaction score
WOW...HOME RUN!!NO DISRESPECT IN ANY WAY TO JIM BOUT BASE WARE,BUT I GOT BOTTLES I KNOW ARE EVEN PRE CIVAL WAR,POST CIVIL WAR WITH NO BASE WARE...OF COURSE IF FOUND IN A ATTIC,WALL,ON THEIR SIDE FROM EARLY ON THERE WILL BE NO BASE WARE!

MAN WHAT A FIND...SOUTHERN BOTTLES LIKE THIS AIN'T FOUND MUCH!! MY 6..1/5 CENTS WORTH! JAMIE

sandchip

Reaction score
The only way that beauty could be improved would be with a big ol' iron pontil! That thing is such a smoker, I can't get over it. And the embossing, the name, shape, color, top are all just unreal, and like Glass Man said, another great bottle from the South. I think I'm in love, but she'd never look at a poor fella like me!

truedigr

Reaction score
That's hilarious Jimbo!:) I mailed the bottle to Glassworks today. Jim Hagenbuch said he was going to take it to the National Bottle Show in Ohio coming next month for people to actually see it in person. The bottle will be offered in the next Glassworks catalog auction coming in the fall. My wife might actually quit bugging me about bringing home these worthless bottles and wasting my time. But like many have said, once the bug gets inside, it can get very addictive. I don't get out and dig as often as I'd like to, but maybe she will let me go a few times a month now.lol Having teenagers in school takes most of my time. Hope you all find some awesome bottles soon, and as Dirtflicker used to say " GIT 'R' DUG !!! " Robert

Dale

Reaction score
Glad to hear it is such a good bottle!! Hope you get a Million for it, if you do don't forget you're frinds. GOOD LUCK. Dale

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem