reproduction old sachems

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

looks like they are in epackage's backyard.
Yes, Nick is about 15 minutes from me as the crow flies...

cyberdigger

Reaction score
That's a stigma you're just gonna have to live with, Jimbo.. glad it ain't me.. [8D]

andy volkerts

Reaction score
The even SCARIER part of all this is they make Drakes Plantation bitters also that will fool even experienced collectors, they come complete with labels which look fake as all getout, BUT takeoff that dead giveaway label, and you have a dead ringer for a Drakes, PLUS they do Cathedral Pickles, and mustards,and I don't remember whatall, and they are all good repops, for accuracy that is.[:eek:][:eek:]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
they make Drakes Plantation bitters also that will fool even experienced collectors

>> maybe at 20 paces :) IF handled I don't think its fooling collectors.

histcloth

Reaction score
I would really be surprised if my reproductions would fool you guys.

Honestly, they are not out there in numbers to cause you harm or alarm. What the reenactor crowd really goes for is the standard whiskeys and plain mustards.

histcloth

Reaction score
I think that you are over-reacting to the situation. In truth, I did tell you a long time ago that I was offering these bottles, and gave more than fair warning. I said then, as I do now, that if these fool a collector, then you shouldn't be collecting.

These odd ball bottles, like bitters and obscure styles, may make your hair stand on end, but in truth they are WAY over the heads of most reenactors. I had planned on offering Western Spice Mills pieces, but judging by past sales, they are not likely to be understood or appreciated.

As up in arms as you all are, the ONLY Sachems that we have sold this year have been to the collectors who have been screaming bloody murder. Presumably you will all engrave something on the base of the bottle to let your fellow collectors know that they are reproductions.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I think you are missing some key points. I've never accused you of wrongdoing. You have a right to sell your wares but most of us are concerned about later results.
People have been screaming about repros and distressed items for centuries. Everything from small items like stamps and coins to furniture. Maybe boats and buildings too.
It's the resellers that try and pass them off that concern the collector market. You know them I think, the ones that hook you with fake bait but happen to exclude some key knowledge. Yeh, fish lures also, forgot about those. The list goes on and on.
Clevenger and many other glass makers I'm sure didn't think there would be a problem either back in the day. Of coarse some of the Czech and others new staight out.
Should the buyers do some research, sure but the new kids to the hobby will get screwed.

histcloth

Reaction score
I have said this before, but it is the collector's market that will screw you guys, not reenactors. The Old Sachems sold very weakly until about two months ago when someone in the collector's market found them on my site, and I darn near sold out, and that is only about 30 pcs.

Reenactors just want something to put their rations in. When I get a request to make a rarer glass item in an oddball color, it is a red flag to me, and I won't do it. There is no doubt what that is going to be used for. I HAVE sold the mold proofs of the items in clear glass, which are kind of neat, ie, drake's in clear glass.

I would love to have done them all, including Rohrback's and Kelly's Bitters or Sacramento Eagle sodas, but it would ultimately be a waste of time. The people that I am trying to reach don't know enough. If the collecting world was resting on standard whiskey bottles, hair oil bottles and the standard mustards then it will be a world of hurt.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen