THE MOTHER OF ALL TEXAS MEDICINES!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

texasdigger

Reaction score
This is the finest of all Texas bottles in my mind! The story is two were dug in New Orleans on the same day. To me it is my grail bottle. If I had the cash to spend it would already be mine, but house, kids, wife, life all are in the way. Maybe one day I will dig one, but until then I can only wish!

By the way I do not think it to be a product of the Republic of Texas. All adds I have found have said New Orleans on them, and I know they were dug there. Also this bottle does not look old enough to be from the era of the Republic of Texas.

Where does this bottle look like it could have been made at? I can't wait to see what it sells for. The last time one sold it went for 14,000.00. This does not look like the one that sold last time. TO me it looks like a better example from the photos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140420110541&_trksid=p2759.l1259

Brad

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Wow Holy Grail is right!...Check this thing out.....Very awesome bottle.
m6.gif
Joe

9F115086610C4B0CB712AF654F9FB008.jpg

Attachments

• 9F115086610C4B0CB712AF654F9FB008.jpg
    9F115086610C4B0CB712AF654F9FB008.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 83

earlyglass

Reaction score
Yes, this is an incrediblely rare bottle. I can't find any reference to the sale of this bottle... can you tell me when it sold for $14,000?

texasdigger

Reaction score
My best guess would be about 4-5 years ago when the last one sold. I would love to know when you guys think it was made, and where. I know it is prior to 1860 post 1840, but that is it. I found an add for the company from 1860's which leads me to think there should be some smooth based variants also. The add also said this could be a bitters also. here is the link. My 30th birthday is in August if yall want to send around the bottle fund collection plate!

Brad

add link
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2480&dat=18641127&id=ZhI0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=hSMIAAAAIBAJ&pg=2715,5639548

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I think you are correct, the bottle has nothing to do with Texas other than the name which was probably fabricated to sound good. Thomas Price sold it out of N.O.
The time it was being advertised was a bit chaotic in the south because of the Civil War. Its likely the bottles were made earlier and he was selling from existing stock. I would guess the bottles were probably shipped down from NY in the 1850s.
The name Prices Patent is interesting , it seems like he was try to play off the popularity of the English Prices Patent company, not too surprising as Northern companys probably werent too popular and the South was looking to Europe for support. It even resembles the early English Prices bottles a bit.

jays emporium

Reaction score
That is amazing. I've heard rumors of that bottle but this is the first time I've seen it. If I didn't have a wife I'd bid on it too.
Jay

texasdigger

Reaction score
There really was a patent given to John Price by the Republic of Texas. The company owner was named Price. I think this is just a later incarnation of the company. IF I could dig one of these I would be fine with never digging another bottle again. I dug a Texas pottery pitcher that is older, and actually rarer than this bottle, but I would trade three of them for one of these things!

Brad

Jay if I did not want to have a wife anymore I could bid on this bottle!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter