THE MOTHER OF ALL TEXAS MEDICINES!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
I have been helping Ferdinand Mayer at Peachridge Glass with some research on the Texas Tonic bottle. I had first heard of the bottle when a picture was posted to my post at Antique-Bottle.net “What cities are known to have pontiled druggist bottles?†As I collect early New Orleans bottles, in addition to druggists, I always wanted to look up more about it. Well, over a year goes by and then I see a posting about it at Peachridge. I decided to finally do a little research of my own.

Based on what I found I believe that the person who patented the medicine, John Price, sold the bottle in Texas, most likely in Galveston which was where he lived. There was an ad for it there in 1847. There was another ad that ran from 1848-49 in a Kentucky newspaper. However these early ads for the medicine do not state what city was the origin. They also have testimonials from both Galveston and New Orleans. It could be that it was sold out of both Galveston and New Orleans at the same time. The 1860’s ads indicated the medicine was made in New Orleans by a Thos. K. Price.

Aside from this thread there are a number of other posts on this forum that talk of the Texas Tonic bottle, including -

Tonic bottle Question for Bill

And RARE Texas Sodas

While I did my research I did find some new information, including that John and Thomas were brothers. I also saw that John died in 1849 of Cholera. So I guess the medicine didn’t cure that! I think that Thomas then carried on the business in New Orleans. A nice side benefit to my research was that I found two unheard of Texas Tonic Bitters. Now diggers need to go find some! Here are links to the posts on all of this over at Peachridge.

The incredible Price's Patent Texas Tonic

Texas Tonic Bitters, prepared by Dr. G. A. Foote

Prindle's Texas Tonic Bitters - Constantly on Draught at The Gem Saloon

texasdigger

Reaction score
Ferdinand is finally into Texas bottles, and it makes me happy. When I was at his house a couple of weeks ago he had his fist Texas bottle prominently on display. I made the joke that he finally bought a real bottle! Nice to meet you, and I hope to talk Texas bottles more with you in the future.

Brad

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have also done some additional research on the Texas Tonic as part of my Southern Medicines book.
It's interesting to hear you have connected Thomas and John. I had wondered what their relationship was.
John Price was originally from Nashville where he patented a few other inventions before moving to Galveston.

There are certainly quite a few other candidates for Texas pontil medicines. I guess someone needs to get out there and dig them.

midway49

Reaction score
In 1987 I dug a Texas Tonic with damage in Lexington Ky. It had a small hole in a bottom corner. Sold it at the Louisville show to a southern collector. ( Jimbo, did you see mine or do you remember another?) I still have pictures.
About 5 years ago we dug another badly broken one in Lexington.
There is a Sam Houston testimonial in Baldwins book I think. I recently put this most of this info on the Peachridge site.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: midway49

In 1987 I dug a Texas Tonic with damage in Lexington Ky. It had a small hole in a bottom corner. Sold it at the Louisville show to a southern collector. ( Jimbo, did you see mine or do you remember another?) I still have pictures.
About 5 years ago we dug another badly broken one in Lexington.
There is a Sam Houston testimonial in Baldwins book I think. I recently put this most of this info on the Peachridge site.

I'd love to see photos of the broken one. There are so few examples to study.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide