An ebayer with a little rage

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I agree it was foolish to post this on a listing.
That's just a matter of checking a box. If you read it wrong or to quickly you can jump on it without fully understanding at the time. Once it's done you can't take it back either. I'll bet it was that simple a mistake.

bottle_head9

Reaction score
We`ve got a couple Ebay cops on this site.[:'(]
ORIGINAL: digger don

I agree with  Ralph also. I've had many dealing with Ralph all went very well . If the guy who wrote him doesn't like something don't bid . I've had a guy write me and tell me my dates were wrong on how I described a bottle and actually got kind of nasty. Blade had a similar thing happen to him about the color of a bottle. Who are these people ( EBAY POLICE ) they really gotta get a life.  

texasdigger

Reaction score
Agree with the seller also on this one. He should have not posted it though. The ebay police kill me also. I was selling an above average Texas saloon flask, and had a guy from Ill. write to me to explain that the history I had for the bottle was wrong, that it would not pull half what the last one ebay did, and that I needed to change my ebay listing to his version of the history or I would be misguiding the buyers. The end of the email was punctuated with a nice speech about me not understanding how the economy affects bottle values.

My history of the bottle was spot on as was the rest of my listing. I did not write him back until the auction was over, and three more nasty emails had came in from him. The flask ended up topping the last one to sell by 50 bones (600.00), and was bought by one of biggest western flask collectors around. I then wrote him back to tell him thanks for his input, and next time I will make sure to have him proof read all of my business transactions!

Brad

ajohn

Reaction score
I might just be a construction worker,and definitely NOT any financial wizard,but I knew that the American auto industry was screwing itself by betting on the American People to be dumb enough (and loyal enough) to buy the crap they were selling in the '80s.
I got that same feeling with e-bay.
The truth might be that Ralphie boy isn't really pissed off at the guy with the question.

rockbot

Reaction score
I sent a friend the same bottle in a little box I prepared and it cost me little over two bucks to ship. It is ralph's item though and what he decides for shipping is his business.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I typically charge $5-6 to ship bottles and I almost always pay more than that to ship (not even including packing and gas).
Good thing its just a hobby.

My beef with bidders on fleabay was it seemed every time I listed something exceptional I would get several emails asking me to end the auction early for some price that was way less than the item was worth. Lots of trolls out there trolling.

diggerdirect

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: woody

A bottle that small can be shipped USPS priority mail for $5.20

The bottle is listed as 1 1/8" diameter, please dont you guys send me that in a priority small flat rate box! (that is only 1 1/2" thick!) Doesnt leave much room at all for padding does it??

Priority mail 1 lb rate (thats 1 pound or less) from me to california is $5.95 @ P.O., $ 5.83 online, I have to assume its the same for all. Insurance is going to cost 1.75 for minimum coverage (up to 50.00, $2.25 if its over), as well as Delivery confirmation (another .70 cents @ P.O., free online), then labels, tape, packing & bubble wrap, (assuming use of a free priority box) figure in, we are close to 10 bucks already, again assuming the guy is just a hobbyist and not trying to run a business.
Begrudge a man a couple bucks for his time,effort & gas? sure thats anyones option, and where the 'BACK' button comes into play.

ATLEAST this potential bidder had the courtesy to email BEFORE he wins, many wait until they have won.

I agree not a good move to post his response on the listing tho, should have just placed the ID on his blocked bidder list & forgot about it.

rockbot

Reaction score
exactly what does insurance cover? I had a bottle arrive with spider cracks on one corner and was told by the post office that " its an old item and I have no proof it wasn't sent damaged". This was quite awhile ago so I don't know what its like today. Can someone explain what the procedure is if a bottle arrives damaged? Thanks, Rocky

diggerdirect

Reaction score
USPS insurance covers loss or damage (partial or complete) of contents of an insured package. Has to be filed within 60 days for a damage claim, ya have to wait 20 some days for a lost package claim. (go ahead & file it they just wont act on it until the time limit) PS form 1000 is available for download online (as well as instructions) or at any usps post office. (I'm not sure about the 'usps contract stations') Either end can initiate the claim (sender or receiver).
Thats a bunch of hoop a la about being damaged because its old, (many smaller PO's will scare off potential claims that way with mis-information but luckily its not they who make the determination!)
For partial damage you'll need proof it wasn't damaged before shipping, if an eBay or other online sale with photos just print out the listing page complete with pictures. If no pictures are available a signed & notarized statement from the sender to that effect (not damaged) will also do. Both is even better.
You'll need to keep the ORIGINAL box & packing materials intact to give them when claim is filed as well as the damaged item (they will keep these, but get a receipt for them)
If paid for online print out the paypal or other transaction details, complete with the payment processors name & address. If a personal check or money order have the receipt. If your the sender, have the insurance receipt.
In the early days of eBay the PO gave a hard time about proof of value, saying an eBay or auction sale was not sufficient, but they have lightened up on that.
Of course the sender & recipient need to stay in contact with each other. The PO will send the form to the other end for them to fill out their respective parts.
There is a part of the form as to who reimbursement will go to. I always reimburse the buyer & do the wait for the refund but it doesn't have to be so.
Then its a waiting game. There is an appeals process if they deny the claim as well.

Its the usual 'Nobody wants to give up Nuthin' til they have to game but arm yourself with some knowledge of the subject BEFORE filing the claim and its usually a smooth (but somewhat drawn out) process.

Alot of the smaller PO's don't handle enough claims to really know how to advise you, if there is a larger facility not to far away I recommend taking it there, they usually have a dedicated claims office, or atleast a claims clerk, but still read up on the process beforehand.

I've only had several claims over the years, and most of them were loss claims not damage, but was a usps postal clerk for 7 1/2 years and handled quite a few.

If its a legit claim there is seldom a problem. (like your spider cracks... if the package was dinged in, then it is possible, if the package is fine, then it isnt likely)

Just a word of caution, be square about it, usps postal insurance fraud is a life ruining road to take, and they will spend unlimited amounts of money to prosecute the smallest fraudlent claim! [8|]

Al

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen