Hutchinson Spring stopper or what?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Tom, Let me know next time your heading this way and we'll burn something dead and have a brew.

Merry Christmas

mrbottles

Reaction score
Ha!

Warren, you are so close yet so far from the big payout. The Albertson patent, unless there are two, is the Mathews gravitational. It doesn't have any thing to do with the spring stopper. It may be that Albertson patented multiple closures. Does he show the patent. To me that sounds like a lot of speculation from the author. I will start my pursuit of his book now. Does he list the patent number. The coil spring and the Albertson patent stopper are not similar in design, engineering or function. I just don't think that is correct. The Mathews stopper would not occur do to an evolution of the Coil spring stopper. It doesn't make sense. I anxiously await greater detail.

Oh and Warren I think Tom found something you threw out back in the day.

Okay Tom you can't say things like, "My son found two bottles in a wash out" and then not say what they are. As a matter of fact what was the one Warren discarded that you mention? Damnit I won't be able to sleep tonight!!! I hear ya on the age. I love the early stuff from around here. We simply don't have that kind of age unless you collect arrow heads or stuff Warren left laying around on one of his Midwestern wooly mammoth hunt junkets back in the day. Of course back then the Midwest was called "Uuugggg" and Warren went by the name Grog. Soooooo. Yes... that's ah... that.

Steven

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Steven, The book is on it way to me right now. When I recive it [via snail mail] I will check it out in futher detail. I'm sure David put a lot of research into his book and I sent him a picture of the stopper and bottle you posted so he could see what I was talking about.

And what do you know about evolution anyway, Living out there in your mid western, cheese makin cow raisen, NEW state with your no accent talkin, neanderthal, hairy backed, knuckle dragin self. Yeah I saw your pic and I'm very sorry your brother got all the looks. And I mean that in the kindest most constructive way.[:)]

See Ya, Grog

alabasterbottle

Reaction score
Thanks for in invite Warren,

The pictures of the bottles my son found.. no names not real old..
also there where a line of broken bottles, I grabed a couple necks

Tom

Wu61816.jpg

alabasterbottle

Reaction score
The site.. vacant lot on the ocean.. I wish I could have spend more time down there.
There was a sea wall that got washed out(20's).
Tom

Ig12400.jpg

Attachments

• Ig12400.jpg
    Ig12400.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 30

alabasterbottle

Reaction score
Clarification.. The sea wall had been there since the 20's and just now got washed out..
I can't imagine all the stuff that washed out w/ it.., There is an old bus frame in the hole.
Another shot , yes It's Thanksgiving and we are in shorts , man I love the south..
Tom

Lj23214.jpg

mrbottles

Reaction score
Grog, I would like to get a copy of that book myself where did you find it? He undoubtedly did some serious research. It may just turn out that he did some gap filling or rendered an educated guess. I hope he really found the patent or some thing. That would be very cool and you would get the credit.

Hey dar sum udus haef aksesns. Mostly south siders. (Go figure) My brother is my conjoined twin. We do some fancy photo editing to make it look like we aren't still joined at left and elbow. He doesn't know any thing about this forum because he always has to look the other way when I’m posting. The hairy back may have been those really old Andy Rooney eye brows you've been sporting. You have to hold them up with you forearm if you really want to see what things look like. My brother has good genetics that’s why he looks so good to you! (I hope) [;)]

Tom very cool to see how you guys find stuff. I have to tell you it's not that easy around here. The good stuff settles into the mud and then more leaves and crap sink down on it and it gets entombed for good. To hunt for bottles out in the open here you have to dig. Either with a shovel or your bare hands. Doesn't the sand just chew the bottles up though? What was the super old one you found?

Two days until Christmas![:)]

Happy happy!!!!

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Steven, did you ever think about metal detecting around the factory site to look for those spring stoppers. Stonebotle@aol.com is David Graci's email address. He can sell you a copy. He's a nice guy.

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hi Warren,

Thanks for the info. I'll email him tonight.

The site where they can be found was a bottling works from the early 1850's through the 1880's on the shore of Lake Mendota in Madison Wisconsin. The area has been redeveloped since the bottling works was closed. There is a book about Wisconsin soda bottles. The author lives in Madison. During the last stage of redevelopment he picked through the old remnants that were unearthed. The crazy thing about the place is that they took a lot of stuff and dumped it in the water through ice harvest holes. There are thousands of broken bottles out there. It's very interesting diving. My brother found piles of glass Mathews stoppers. He brought back hundreds of them. We do have an underwater metal detector but I think it would be of little use in an area with so much debris. Plus duck hunters have deposited billions of little lead pellets every where up here. They set a metal detector off nicely. Maybe I'll try it though. '

I am working on colors on the forum. My web people set up teh forum today as a Christmas present. Let me know what you think.

Steven

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks