Russian Heart Break

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
RE: Russian Heart Break - new pics

Those are all interesting guesses , I hope we find out somehow or it will drive me crazy. I googled " Russian oil of" and the only thing of interest that came up was Russian Oil of Spearmint, a hair product around the turn of the century.
After you dig the pit clean, if you want help sifting for the shards I'd be happy to drive down and help.
What a freakin bottle

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine

I took this exerpt out of a google listing, it is text from a big novel dating to 1903. I know there is a pontiled medicine "Balm or Gilead" , so maybe "oil of balsam" is indeed a possibility"

"and frankincense, and oil of balsam, and balm of Gilead poured on your " ( I can't find the rest of the text in the online book itself, so I dont know what the next word is, I'll keep lookin.

GuntherHess

Reaction score

AMAZING ! I remember back in the 80's at the bottle shows, everyone saying " oh, everythings been dug already" there's nothing else out there." Yeah right, here we are 2009, people still pullin out pontils, and occasionally something like what you guys have done, DIGGIN A ONE OF A KIND UNKNOWN PONTILED NEW ENGLAND EMBOSSED MEDICINE! HOLY CRAP CONGRATULATIONS!

While I would guess there are very few truely unique bottles that have ever been found (I see the phrase "only known example" way too often) I do see at least a couple undocumented medcines each month. There is a LOT that hasnt turned up yet you can be assured.

coldwater diver

Reaction score

Tique that is an amazing shard, and I hope you will be able to find the missing parts. I like Oldtimers guess. If you dont find a whole one or the missing pieces you might be able to go to the local library and look at a newspaper that has been around since that time period a (I hope I spell this right) microfiche. It may contain some clues as far as advertisements go, my advise pick a rainy day. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Kevin

ajohn

Reaction score

Russian Remedy,Russian cure.
Used different oils to control parasites.
Just remember reading that somewhere.

ajohn

Reaction score
As competition in the medicine industry peaked in the 1840-1850s, would-be entrepreneurs were forced to be ever more creative in their pitches. New or exotic ideas were required to catch the public’s fancy. Things foreign held a mysterious appeal and so appeared: Tom’s Russian Liniment, Roback’s Scandinavian Remedies, Wheatley’s Spanish Pain Killer, Albright’s Columbian Syrup or Well’s German Linment, (More than twenty-five different German medicines are listed in this volume). Immigrant groups were targeted or exploited.

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Tique I dont want to be a pest but did you find the rest of that Russian heartbreak? I cant stop thinking about that bottle. I know I'm not alone in saying please keep us posted. Thanks and good luck!

earlyglass

Reaction score
I don't care if there is rain, snow, sleet, or hail... you are a digger, damn it... you will get back to that site and find the rest of that bottle!! [:D]

Good luck buddy!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229