Wish me luck!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Rockhounder55

Reaction score
I'm with you sandchip. I'd rather stick red hot forks in my eyes than speak in front of a crowd, but I think you'll do fine Bob. Any chance it will be video taped and can be posted here? ~Mike

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Once again, thanks everybody. Surface - The Llyod Bridges thing is funny. One of my fellow divers found the same type of mask that he used with the blue plastic and the round face shield. Apparently, they are highly sought after and he sold it for over $150 dollars on ebay. I was shocked. I probably would have given it away!

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Bob...

Best of luck "break a leg"...
Keep good eye contact, speak slowly and clearly, throw a couple jokes in there, make sure they can here you in the back and it would be a good idea to set up a small video camera and record your presentation. That way you can critique yourself and better prepare for your NEXT speech... because, after they see you, everyone will want you to come and make your bottle, diving, lake, artifact presentation...[;)]

I hear that the "History Channel" will be there!!!![8|]

Wayne

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Once again,
Thank you all for your kind wishes. I go on tonight at 7 pm. I am fairly nervous but I have been thinking and preparing for a long time plus I am bringing a million artifacts. So, I should have plenty to talk about.

I couldn't sleep much last night because I kept running through what I would say. I didn't want to do that but I couldn't turn it off. I'm hoping that the extra time mulling it over in my head will help rather than just make me tired. Oh well. Not much I can do about it now. I will report back late tonight as to how it went. Thanks again everyone!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Bob,

How'd it go? Is the Pewaukee Historical Society still carrying you around on their shoulders, shouting "Huzzahs?"

peabody.jpg

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks for asking Surfaceone!

Things went really well. Looking back, there was no need to be nervous (but I suppose it couldn't be helped). Everyone was very very nice. I wrote out and did my best to learn a lengthy speech but planned on tossing it aside the first chance I got. I was very happy that I did indeed toss it aside. However, when looking back on the evening, I realize that I did not get to discuss much of the material that I had prepared.

As I was waiting to be introduced, I looked around the room. I realized that I did not know a single person. (The turn out was maybe 35-40 people). Oddly enough, this was strangely liberating. Nobody there knew me and I decided that I wanted to make as good of an impression as I could. As I patiently waited through the official business (election of officers, dicussion of financial affairs, etc.), they mentioned that it was somebody's birthday. When I got up there, instead of jumping into my speech, I thanked the gentelman who introduced me and then said that I hadn't planned on being there but when I heard that it was (somebody's) birthday - I knew what an incredible honor it would be to speak on this special day - so, I had to come. Everybody laughed a bit and it got me rolling right away.

When I was running out of imediate things to say, I entertained questions. About a half a dozen hands went up and from there on out it was easy. I was very concerned about going over (time-wise) and I started getting the cut off signs from the back during this question and answer period. I stayed on till the end and then talked to everyone that came up. It was really very nice and I would do it again.

As far as my performance, it's tough to say. It took a minute or two for me to get the microphone right because I was holding it too far from my mouth at first. (I didn't know that you had to stick that thing right in your tonsils). People congratulated me and were friendly and seemed interested. The person that had invited me assured me that I did a good job and that many people had come specifically to hear me speak. So, I guess things went okay. I probably could have been better but I'm not complaining.

Once again, thank you all. You guys had my back! You gave me some good encouragement and advice and I really appreciate it!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
That's awesome, Bob!! Congratulations!! If the crowd didn't throw rotten veggies at you, you did fine!! [:D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26