Wish me luck!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
If you can spare some well-wishing, I'll take it!

I have been invited to speak next Monday evening before the Pewaukee historical society. My topic is Pewaukee Lake Discoveries. (Guest speaker Bob Libby will share with us stories of treasures found in Pewaukee Lake). When I asked what kind of crowd I could expect, they told me between 50-100 people! I'll probably be nervous, but I'm sure I'll be okay.

Because it is the historical society, my plan is to outline some of the historical things you can learn about an area from diving. One of the things you can learn about is people's lifestyles (and the technologies that were used) in the past. (For example; what types of bottles were used and why). The second thing you can learn are clues as to what used to be located in an area. (For example; a shooting range leaves target balls and clay pigeons in the water. There are pier posts, old road beds etc . . .). If anybody has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Oh and I plan to bring treasure troves. Talking about that stuff alone would allow me to fill up my entire speach.

LC

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you have it all worked out Bob . I have read your posts on what you find and have always found your posts interesting . I am sure you will do just fine on your own . Oh , and good luck !

sandchip

Reaction score
I'm sure you'll do great. Me? I can't speak in front of more that 2 or 3 folks. Pitiful.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I would be dying from the anticipation right now, Bob.. I get pretty bad stage fright, I had to give up all hopes of singing and playing guitar in front of other people because of it.. I wish I had known about xanax back then! Anyway, good luck, sounds like it will be an interesting presentation!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Wow. Thanks everybody so far for your kind replies. I am nervous and if I think about it I get even more nervous. Obviously though, this is a topic that I am extremely knowledgable about - because all I have to discuss is my own experiences and the things that I've learned. I think I need to build a little blueprint of things to say and then leave it all behind and let it go where it goes.

One thing that you might find interesting. I thought about my credentials as an expert on Pewaukee Lake Discoveries. I counted my logged dives -which I keep track of as tanks spent underwater. I have 480 tanks in Pewaukee Lake since 1996. (It is quite large). On most tanks, I stay under 25 feet in depth- (sometimes I don't go deeper than 5 or 6). At that depth, a tank can last easily over an hour sometimes an hour and a half. That means, I have something like three weeks to a month of twenty four hour days of searching if you placed all of my bottom time back to back!

BTW The meeting is open to the public if anyone wants to come. I could post details if anyone is interested. Thanks again everyone!

mr.fred

Reaction score
You will do fine[;)]-------you have your Comfort Zone----pace yourself so you don't run out of things to talk about-----ask if anyone has any questions---have a show and tell[:D]-----------Mr.Fred.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I'm sure you will do fine. If we still lived up that way, we might have come down to have a listen.
How far back, time wise, will you cover?

I'm not sure Poison about the time frame. Most of what I find is turn of the century. I found exactly one 1870s mineral water, but once you get into the 1880s, I've found many many items. The lake was very popular starting in the 1890s because an electric rail line (street cars) went directly to a park on the lake from the Milwaukee area.

Some of the things I plan to bring

My glass target ball (and a few clay pigeons)
The old wooden fishing pole with brass reel,
some early wooden lures,
A brass and copper trumpet,
An old winter horseshoe,
An anchor date stamped from the 1880s,
some bottles including hutches and a clay beer,
A brass based lantern (like a coleman)
an old flashlight with the convex lens,
some sailing pieces,
A cross craft gas tank cover,
A brass (fishing) stringer ,
An animal trap from the 1890s . . .

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Good luck, although I'm sure you'll do just fine. You may be nervous at first, but you get to talk about something you know and enjoy. That should get you into your comfort zone quick enough. Just don't puke on yourself and all will be OK. Have fun with it.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Bob,

You're gonna do just great. You have the knowledge, the collection, and the passion. All you gotta do is channel your inner Mike Nelson to get past the public speaking hurdle...

41Z7S8ECMWL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
You can tune in now @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-1tkxmqJ3c

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26