Glassworks refuses refund!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: earlyglass

Tom, Put your damaged bottle in the American Bottle Auctions... I just watched a Bryants Stomach Bitters with a completely blown out base bring over $40,000!!
That just "shows 'ta go 'ya" that not all bottle collectors are rational. 40K for basically a partial bottle? I don't think so.
The "Hag" should have honored thew refund, I don't care if it was 2 yrs after the fact. THAT, is why I steer clear of auctions.

sandchip

Reaction score
Man, I don't know what to say here. I'm as much a nobody in this hobby as you can get, in all honesty, buying about one, yes one, bottle a year (Hell, I'm starting to fall off that pace!). I never get to go to shows anymore, and that also used to be about once a year. I guess it's the kids, house payments, and so on, but that's how it goes sometimes. Maybe Mr. Hagenbuch has changed, I don't know, but in the past, I have sent several bottles back to him (relative to the number bought) and for what could be considered picky-ass reasons to some. When I received a bottle, I'd go over it with a fine-toothed comb, and if I saw a problem, I marked the area with a grease pencil, enclosed a note describing the problem, thanked him, packed it up and sent it back the same day I received it. He has never once failed to refund my money, promptly, and with no questions asked. So once again, I don't know what to say other than to relate my own experience. I hate when anything bad or negative happens in our hobby, and I do hope everything works out for the best for everyone involved.

bottle_head9

Reaction score
Well, after a sleepless night and a lot of thought I`ve come to the conclussion that I`m out of luck.I guess it`s my own fault.I didn`t pay for the bottle in the alloted time.I contacted Glassworks with partial payment and asked for more time to pay.They had done this in the past, and didn`t seem to have a problem with it.Maybe I had no business bidding. They certainly had no problem cashing my checks and registering me for all their new auctions.The bottle was described wrong.Jim admitted that.The value of that bottle has significantly dropped.I wonder though, would Jim have refused me a refund had I gone on his trip to Europe?This hobby is supposed to be about fun and friends and honesty.Thats what his magazine conveys.The truth is that Jim ripped me off.Plain and simple.He sold me a chipped, cracked bottle.

appliedlips

Reaction score
I've never had a bad experience with Glassworks but I'd be irate if that showed up in my mailbox. I know I couldn't look at it on my shelf.I know there are two sides to every story and in this case I'd enjoy hearing Jim's reply.

bottle_head9

Reaction score
Sorry Steve, I just now read your reply.Yes, I was late in making my final payment.I sent them a check with a request for more time to pay.Like I said before, they had done this in the past and didn`t seem to have any problem with it.They continued to register me for their auctions and never contacted me stating there was a problem.That was one of the reasons I liked them so much.They seemed willing to work with people on an individual basis.I recieved the bottle yesterday.As one collector to another, Jim should stand behind what he sold me regardless of guidlines.This particular bottle should be handled on a one on one basis.This chipping and crack were there.They just didn`t mention it.If the chip wasn`t there. there wouldn`t be any roughness.If he is gonna stick to the rules on this issue than I`m out of luck.If he is gonna do the honorable and right thing, then I should be getting a refund minus shipping and a late fee.

woodswalker

Reaction score
If this guy runs a legit business and is ripping people off with cracked bottles or misleading info I would make a report with the better business bureau....It might not help you get your money back but many times before people make on line purchases they will research the company...so maybe that would be your eye for an eye....he sent you damaged goods and I would put the word out online as much as you can...I can't stand dishonesty!! And the customer is always right!! (not really but in your case you are)
Anyway sorry about your bottle...I almost commented yesterday on your post when I saw it but like most others I'm new to the hobby and still learning....and with your post I think I learned NOT to make any purchases thru that company!!
Amanda

glass man

Reaction score
2. Guarantee: Any item found to be inaccurately described or, having damage not listed, may be returned for a refund, less shipping costs,

YEP BEEN ALONG TIME SINCE I BID OR GOT ANYTHING FROM JIM,BUT I ALWAYS REMEMBERED THIS AS THE POLICY...DON'T SEE HOW ANY ONE COULD MISS DAMAGE LIKE THIS! AS HARD AS IT IS MONEY WISE THESE DAYS,I WOULD BE TICKED OFF TOO! ALSO HE BETTER WORRY BOUT YOU!! IT WILL COME UP TO BITE HIM IN THE BUTT SONER OR LATTER [SOONER I HOPE!] IF HE KEEPS DOING THIS!

IF THIS POLICY AIN'T REALLY THE POLICY HE NEEDS TO QUIT OUT RIGHT LYING ABOUT IT!

BE GOOD IF HE GOT BOUT A HUNDRED OR SO EMAILS FROM US ALL...CAUSE IT COULD BE ANY ONE ON HERE OR WHEREVER NEXT!![:mad:] LET HIM JUST MAKE MONEY OFF HIS "BIG SALES" AND SEE HOW IT GOES!! JAMIE

Mike O

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: woodswalker

If this guy runs a legit business and is ripping people off with cracked bottles or misleading info I would make a report with the better business bureau....It might not help you get your money back but many times before people make on line purchases they will research the company...so maybe that would be your eye for an eye....he sent you damaged goods and I would put the word out online as much as you can...I can't stand dishonesty!! And the customer is always right!! (not really but in your case you are)
Anyway sorry about your bottle...I almost commented yesterday on your post when I saw it but like most others I'm new to the hobby and still learning....and with your post I think I learned NOT to make any purchases thru that company!!
Amanda

OK, so maybe I am going to be putting my foot in my mouth and cause a stirr. but why does the buyer NOT hold any responsibility? I agree that the damage was under described BUT as a buyer if I were interested in an item and it listed any flaw at all I would call or email and ask for condition report more pictures or at least a better explanation of the issue. 2nd is that the auction house does expect items to be paid for at the end of the auction. They in this case let the buyer do some sort of a lay away and not pay for it all at once and I am sure that was at 0% interests and the auction house paid the consignee out of his pocket before being paid himself. The buyer took over 30 days to pay and unfortunately let the warranty or return time pass.

I feel bad for the winner as I do feel he didn't get what he expected BUT he, as we all do need to take some responsibility ourselves too

earlyglass

Reaction score
As to my earlier point Mike... Glassworks DOES accepts returns, however, they need to close the sale at a certain point. This is why it is very important to make payment within the 30 days, so you have the leverage to return the item. How much time do you have to return an item at the hardware store, or dealership, or wherever? The loss is quite minimal and the ink still has value, however, the lesson learned for all is worth much more. Personally, if I were Glassworks, I would accept the return with a warning that it cannot happen again, but... they are on to the next auction.

Mike

bottle_head9

Reaction score
Got a reply from Glassworks this morning, SEND IT BACK!!! in bold letters.Bottle is going back this afternoon.I learned a valuable lesson about auctions in this matter.Don`t be late on your payment!! Period!! Thank you all for your help with this problem.. Tom

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75